Why does MT4 crash so much?

I'm a new user on MT4 and am surprised and getting frustrated at how much it crashes indiscriminately.  Can anybody give me some direction on how to fix this, or what some of the causes are, so I can understand the platform better and see if I can actually use it?

Many thanks for the help....

Rick

rhlclp:

I'm a new user on MT4 and am surprised and getting frustrated at how much it crashes indiscriminately.  Can anybody give me some direction on how to fix this, or what some of the causes are, so I can understand the platform better and see if I can actually use it?

Many thanks for the help....

Rick

It doesn't crash for me at all . . . but then I am very careful about what Indicators I use,  what Indicators are you using when it "crashes"  ?

I've never had it crash. Hung in an indicator I coded wrong, but never crashed. It will crash in a mis-coded DLL, but I havn't coded any.

Don't install in \program files* on Vista/Win7

It is most likely either a problem with the code you are running IN metatrader, or general operating system instability, rather than with MT4 itself.

If you try to run some code which contains an infinite loop (through bad programming) then MT4 will just hang. (MT5 at least has some protection against this).

I have had some compatibility problems with overzealous internet security software playing around with metatrader (4 and 5) in the past.

Also, if you try to run an optimization with WAY too many possible iterations (numbers which are too big to even pronounce) MT4 just freaks out and closes instantly (at least on my pc).

RaptorUK:

It doesn't crash for me at all . . . but then I am very careful about what Indicators I use,  what Indicators are you using when it "crashes"  ?

Thanks for your reply, Raptor.....I'm only using a trend line right now, but I am taking in signals from an EA. Could that be the problem?
Reason: