testing MACD Expert Advisor: no results

Hello,

I am testing MACD expert advisor in MT4.  Before making any changes to it, I'm using standard settings from the MACD that comes with the MT4 application. I get no results though.

The 'Optimization results' and 'Optimization graph' tabs in the tester are empty. On the 'journal' tab I get the message that 'there was 1 passes done during optimization'.

Can somebody please help me in identifying what suggested problems are. 

Thanks so much. 

zeno1:

Hello,

I am testing MACD expert advisor in MT4.  Before making any changes to it, I'm using standard settings from the MACD that comes with the MT4 application. I get no results though.

The 'Optimization results' and 'Optimization graph' tabs in the tester are empty. On the 'journal' tab I get the message that 'there was 1 passes done during optimization'.

Can somebody please help me in identifying what suggested problems are. 

Thanks so much. 

By the first run of your strategy tester don't select optimization. 

The result was negative in the pass that was done if you don't select Skip useless results then you had seen the result of the optimization you had done 

I have deselected optimization. I have also (before) deselected 'skip useless results' in the 'optimization results' tab.

I receive now the message on 'journal' tab that 'MACD EURUSDpro,M1: SetIndexBuffer function must be called from custom indicator only'.

What does this mean? 

Thank you. 

zeno1:

I have deselected optimization. I have also (before) deselected 'skip useless results' in the 'optimization results' tab.

I receive now the message on 'journal' tab that 'MACD EURUSDpro,M1: SetIndexBuffer function must be called from custom indicator only'.

What does this mean? 

Thank you. 

It means that you are trying to run an Indicator or an EA containing Indicator code in the Strategy Tester by picking it in the box labelled  Expert Advisor

RaptorUK:
It means that you are trying to run an Indicator or an EA containing Indicator code in the Strategy Tester by picking it in the box labelled  Expert Advisor

In that case, I will work with 'custom indicators' to fit in the MACD indicator.

But will this provide every time a signal according to MACD calculation? From reading it seems that Expert Advisor would do this (on a repetitive basis), but not an indicator (only once)?

Thanks for your help. 

zeno1:

In that case, I will work with 'custom indicators' to fit in the MACD indicator.

But will this provide every time a signal according to MACD calculation? From reading it seems that Expert Advisor would do this (on a repetitive basis), but not an indicator (only once)?

An Indicator or an EA will provide signals for every tick if you code it to do that . . .  perhaps you should show you code so that more specific advice can be given.

I have attached file 'MACD.ex4' that I use. I select it from MetaEditor under 'indicators' folder. 

My objective is to use MACD indicators of various time intervals, such as 1M, 3M, 5M, 15M.  

Thank you for your comments. 

Files:
macd.ex4  3 kb

zeno1:

I have attached file 'MACD.ex4' that I use. I select it from MetaEditor under 'indicators' folder. 

My objective is to use MACD indicators of various time intervals, such as 1M, 3M, 5M, 15M.  

Thank you for your comments. 

That file is not the file we can use to help you... 

The file is not showing the code...   it is a compiled file

We need to see the code or we need to get the source file   'MACD.mq4' 

deVries:

That file is not the file we can use to help you... 

The file is not showing the code...   it is a compiled file

We need to see the code or we need to get the source file   'MACD.mq4' 

I see. I attach source file 'MACD.mq4'.

Files:
macd.mq4  3 kb

zeno1:

I see. I attach source file 'MACD.mq4'.

That is an Indicator not an EA.

RaptorUK:
That is an Indicator not an EA.

Thank you both RaptorUK and deVries for you guidance.

I'm reading on the 'custom indicators' since I appear to be working in the wrong category.

I understand that difference is that EA will work on a continuous basis whereas Indicators work on a 1 time basis.  Is there a way to make an Indicator work on a continuous basis?

Thank you and have a great we. 

Reason: