Tick Chart converter

Does anyone know of or even if there is a code to convert the standard candlestick chart to a tick chart?

There would be little point in doing so. MT4 does not save tick data. It only knows the Open, High, Low and Close for each candlestick. Any attempt to re-construct the ticks from that would involve "interpolation" by necessity. i.e. "guessing". https://www.mql5.com/en/articles/1511

If you are using tick data then it is probably either to look for entry signals in ticks, or to scalp. Neither of which would benefit from using interpolated ticks.

Interpolated ticks would not give you accurate enough data to develop strategies which look for entry signals from tick movement.

As long as the distance between your stoploss and takeprofit is not less than about 10 pips, then there is little to be gained by using tick data rather than M1 data (since >= 90% of M1 candlesticks are <= 10 pips in range between High and Low - on EURUSD at least).

If you really want ticks, then it is better to download them raw rather than try to reconstruct them from candlesticks.

Thank you for a very usefull description and helpfull  information for a newbie still learning!

I'm guessing that by interpolation you would mean that it would be a higher risk for more mistakes? Even more so when using M1 data, which i seem to have found myself using for short term trades, more so than any other time frame? Which i further seem to be learning more and more is not necessarily the right time frame to trade from, even on short term trades.

I just assumed that the shorter timed ticks would gain advantage and be more accurate when executing entrys and exits.

Would this explain why the tick indicator  code i tried coping resets to a flat line every time i change timeframe?

iannai69:

Thank you for a very usefull description and helpfull  information for a newbie still learning!

I'm guessing that by interpolation you would mean that it would be a higher risk for more mistakes? Even more so when using M1 data, which i seem to have found myself using for short term trades, more so than any other time frame? Which i further seem to be learning more and more is not necessarily the right time frame to trade from, even on short term trades.

I just assumed that the shorter timed ticks would gain advantage and be more accurate when executing entrys and exits.

Would this explain why the tick indicator  code i tried coping resets to a flat line every time i change timeframe?

You cannot make the ticks that happened during an M1 bar from the information contained within an M1 bar . . you have datetime, High, Low, Open, Close and Tick Count (Volume)  you cannot make the correct ticks from that.  You can fabricate some tick if you like . .  just in the same way that the Strategy tester does . .  but they will not be the same tick that actually happened to make the M1 bar.  What  clerin6  means by interpolation is this process of fabricating the ticks.

The reason that your "tick indicator" reverts to a flat line when you change timeframe is that it does not remember the tick that happened before you changed timeframe . . . 

RaptorUK:

You cannot make the ticks that happened during an M1 bar from the information contained within an M1 bar . . you have datetime, High, Low, Open, Close and Tick Count (Volume)  you cannot make the correct ticks from that.  You can fabricate some tick if you like . .  just in the same way that the Strategy tester does . .  but they will not be the same tick that actually happened to make the M1 bar.  What  clerin6  means by interpolation is this process of fabricating the ticks.

The reason that your "tick indicator" reverts to a flat line when you change timeframe is that it does not remember the tick that happened before you changed timeframe . . . 

thanks again

Is there a way i can control how many times my expert advisor is executed? Maybe after every10 ticks?

nduru22:
Is there a way i can control how many times my expert advisor is executed? Maybe after every10 ticks?
Yes,  count the ticks,  if the count is less than 10 return from start() immediately,  if it is equal to 10 reset the count to 0 and carry on with the contents of the start() function  . . . 

thanks raptor

iannai69: Does anyone know of or even if there is a code to convert the standard candlestick chart to a tick chart?
Do you mean a tick chart or Equivolume Charting Revisited - MQL4 Articles
Reason: