Trouble using EA with more than one symbol at a time

Hi everyone!

Still a newbie at this, I'm afraid!

I am doing this EA, which (for good or bad) works with a symbol, in real time (I drag it into a chart window).

However, at times I would like to use it on 2 symbols at the same time. I open 2 chart windows, one for each symbol, and drag it into each one.

My EA is now using files to keep track of some stuff, and the name varies according to symbol. However, when I try to use it on 2 symbols, it is as if some weird interaction is taking place, because only one of the charts (the last one I dragged into, seems to be doing anything with the EA). I am using Symbol() to get the symbol used.

Is there something one is supposed to do when a EA is going to be used with more than one symbol at the same time, so that it does not go nuts?

Thanks!

Apagador:

Is there something one is supposed to do when a EA is going to be used with more than one symbol at the same time, so that it does not go nuts?

If your EA monitors,  counts, or looks after it's orders then you have to ensure that it is doing so only with it's own orders and not the orders of another EA or any placed manually.  You can use OrderSymbol() if you have no manual orders and you do not have the EA on more than one timefrmae for a given symbol . . .   otherwise you will need to use Magic Numbers.

RaptorUK:
If your EA monitors,  counts, or looks after it's orders then you have to ensure that it is doing so only with it's own orders and not the orders of another EA or any placed manually.  You can use OrderSymbol() if you have no manual orders and you do not have the EA on more than one timefrmae for a given symbol . . .   otherwise you will need to use Magic Numbers.

Hmm... actually, i am testing for magic number AND the right symbol...

Apagador:

Hmm... actually, i am testing for magic number AND the right symbol...

"not have the EA on more than one timefrmae for a given symbol" . Actually, that's just what I am trying to do, attach the same EA to 2 different symbols in the same timeframe

Apagador:

"not have the EA on more than one timefrmae for a given symbol" . Actually, that's just what I am trying to do, attach the same EA to 2 different symbols in the same timeframe
In that case the Magic Number needs to be different for the 2 timeframes.  My Magic Number is partly related to the specific EA and partly the timeframe of the chart it is running on,  then using a combination of symbol and magic number I can be sure I am checking the correct orders only.

RaptorUK:
In that case the Magic Number needs to be different for the 2 timeframes.  My Magic Number is partly related to the specific EA and partly the timeframe of the chart it is running on,  then using a combination of symbol and magic number I can be sure I am checking the correct orders only.

Thanks for the help!

Finally found what it was that I was doing incorrectly (unrelated to symbols or magic numbers; really "get him out to the back and shoot him" kind of mistake).

But your suggestions have given me some food for thought, on making the thing more robust.

Apagador:

Thanks for the help!

Finally found what it was that I was doing incorrectly (unrelated to symbols or magic numbers; really "get him out to the back and shoot him" kind of mistake).

I know I have made that kind of mistake . . .  I'm sure we all have :-)  glad to hear you are making progress,  that is the most important thing.
Reason: