MT4 crashing silently - page 2

stewart:

Ok, I had a copy of notepad open as well as MT4. When I came to revisit the VPS, MT4 was closed and notepad still open.

It may sound like a silly question, but where are the logs you refer? Are the MT4 or Windows Systems logs?

MT4 logs: your_MT4_folder/experts/logs & your_MT4_folder/logs

Windows logs: %windir%\system32\eventvwr.msc /s specifically, System & Application

RaptorUK:

MT4 logs: your_MT4_folder/experts/logs & your_MT4_folder/logs

Windows logs: %windir%\system32\eventvwr.msc /s specifically, System & Application

Try also ... eh ... Problem report and solution (control Panel > Problem report and solution OR Start > Maintenance > Problem Report and Solution)

Many thanks for this.

I have checked all four of these locations and sadly found no explanation for why MT4 keeps crashing out. It's not even running any expert advisors at the moment and once very week or two it just ends up closed while other programs stay open. Very odd.

Notepad does not connect to internet and does not streaming data. Try browser and streaming some music, for example http://www.wfmt.com/

There's another possibility, your MT is not responding and may have huge processor usage, and so automatically being shutdown.

Ok. Can a Windows VPS automatically kill your programs? I am totally puzzled by this.

I guess i could write a little program which checks for existence of terminal.exe and restarts MT4 if it finds it not there.

stewart:

Ok. Can a Windows VPS automatically kill your programs? I am totally puzzled by this.

I guess i could write a little program which checks for existence of terminal.exe and restarts MT4 if it finds it not there.

Back then, with my laptop it took me some 30 minutes to upload some 40 MB zip file to my 4shared.com through Firefox, but it took a day for my VPS. You have shared server, which mean network resources is shared among plenty of users. Since MT is streaming data, that's possibility that they kill your MT :(.

Write that exe and write the log. If possible set that .exe as service.

Many thanks. I will do that :)

I will try and make this a Windows Service. I can poll every couple of seconds for the presence of the terminal.exe process and restart MT4 if it is not found. This should work. I need to be careful that there are no duplicate instances created between the time taken to realise there is no terminal.exe and successive commands to restart it.

Thanks for your collective help on this.

Hopefully MT4 will retain its state even if it does crash and get automatically restarted?

Reason: