PROBLEM WITH STRATEGY TESTER MT4

Friends,

I have developed an EA, wherein the buy/sell order will be placed on meeting a condition in EA. But when I run my EA in strategy tester of MT4, on some days this EA is not placing order even though the condition is met on those days during back testing. On other days EA is placing order in strategy tester after meeting the condition in EA during back testing.

Anybody knows why such thing is happening? whether this is due to problem in my MT4 strategy tester?

sunilkumarks46:

Friends,

I have developed an EA, wherein the buy/sell order will be placed on meeting a condition in EA. But when I run my EA in strategy tester of MT4, on some days this EA is not placing order even though the condition is met on those days during back testing. On other days EA is placing order in strategy tester after meeting the condition in EA during back testing.

Anybody knows why such thing is happening? whether this is due to problem in my MT4 strategy tester?

Are you using MT4 build 419? I have seen problems on mine where it will not run an EA at all until I go back into the account setup and change the demo server. Just add a Comment() or Print function at the beginning of the start function in the EA to see if it is running at all.

Your coding is wrong . . . or you are testing during the weekend and you have remained connected to your Broker and you have very large spread . . . or something else. What have you done to diagnose the problem ?

dabbler:
Are you using MT4 build 419? I have seen problems on mine where it will not run an EA at all until I go back into the account setup and change the demo server. Just add a Comment() or Print function at the beginning of the start function in the EA to see if it is running at all.

Yes I am using MT4 build 419. There is a comment function at the last portion under start function and this comment is displayed in strategy tester

RaptorUK:
Your coding is wrong . . . or you are testing during the weekend and you have remained connected to your Broker and you have very large spread . . . or something else. What have you done to diagnose the problem ?

I did my testing on saturday and today(sunday). During testing I have noticed that there is connection to server.

sunilkumarks46:

Yes I am using MT4 build 419. There is a comment function at the last portion under start function and this comment is displayed in strategy tester

So there is life in it then, and it is a different problem to the one I was having. Mine wouldn't even display a comment from right at the start of the start function!

Does anything interesting appear in the strategy tester journal (click that tab)?

sunilkumarks46:

I did my testing on saturday and today(sunday). During testing I have noticed that there is connection to server.
What is your Spread ? can your code cope with a large Spread ?

dabbler:

So there is life in it then, and it is a different problem to the one I was having. Mine wouldn't even display a comment from right at the start of the start function!

Does anything interesting appear in the strategy tester journal (click that tab)?

The journal for todays testing is given below

RaptorUK:
What is your Spread ? can your code cope with a large Spread ?

I am trading in GBPUSD where the spread is 2.5

I don't like all those mismatched data errors. Open a GBPUSD chart, M1, right mouse click Refresh. Then click up through M5, M15, M30, H1 to whatever timeframe you are setting the strategy tester to refreshing as you go. Set the strategy tester to not more than 2 months ago and try again.

sunilkumarks46:

I am trading in GBPUSD where the spread is 2.5

I doubt it is 2.5 during the weekend . . . have you checked ?

Reason: