Automatic expert advisor testing - page 2

RaptorUK:

What do you have in the file that you pass to MT4 ?  This is mine . . notice the  TestShutdownTerminal=true

Great! Thank you.

The missing TestShutdownTerminal=true was the problem. I hadn't found this anywhere in the help files.

bjoern:

Great! Thank you.

The missing TestShutdownTerminal=true was the problem. I hadn't found this anywhere in the help files.

You are welcome,  it must be in the Help file somewhere,  that is where I would have gotten it from  ;-)

RaptorUK:
You are welcome,  it must be in the Help file somewhere,  that is where I would have gotten it from  ;-)

How do you prevent MT4 from popping up windows that either ask for your contact data in order to open a demo account or for your login data, when you log in with false login data?

I use false login data, because I don't need any information from my demo account. I just want to use my .hst and .fxt files. When running a series of backtests with a demo account, MT4 sometimes is unable to get certain data from the demo account and then the whole backtesting process comes to a halt. I.e. using a demo account prevents me from doing completely automatic backtests. Yet, with false login data the backtesting stops even more often: Usually MT4 pops up a window after the first backtest. As I can't close this window from a batch script or program, I am unable to do automatic backtesting.

bjoern:

How do you prevent MT4 from popping up windows that either ask for your contact data in order to open a demo account or for your login data, when you log in with false login data?

I use false login data, because I don't need any information from my demo account. I just want to use my .hst and .fxt files. When running a series of backtests with a demo account, MT4 sometimes is unable to get certain data from the demo account and then the whole backtesting process comes to a halt. I.e. using a demo account prevents me from doing completely automatic backtests. Yet, with false login data the backtesting stops even more often: Usually MT4 pops up a window after the first backtest. As I can't close this window from a batch script or program, I am unable to do automatic backtesting.

I haven't used the batch method for testing for some time,  when I did I didn't experience the issue you are describing,  maybe things have changed in more recent builds.  Sorry,  can't offer much useful help.

Have you tried setting  AutoConfiguration  ?

RaptorUK:

I haven't used the batch method for testing for some time,  when I did I didn't experience the issue you are describing,  maybe things have changed in more recent builds.  Sorry,  can't offer much useful help.

Have you tried setting  AutoConfiguration  ?

You made my day. Thanks a lot. If I write the login data into the configuration file (as opposed to storing them manually in MT4) and set AutoConfiguration to false, it works.

bjoern:

You made my day. Thanks a lot. If I write the login data into the configuration file (as opposed to storing them manually in MT4) and set AutoConfiguration to false, it works.

Great !  glad it worked for you,  I didn't know it would,  just guessing  ;-)

Hello,

I have couple rookie questions about configuration at startup and strategy tester:

1 question:

I want to test my EA with 10 variations of inputs. So I need to create:

1. 10 .set files with these variations (settings1.set, settings2.set,....)

2. 10 .txt files that specifies .set files (startupsetings1, startupsetings2,....)

3. and one .bat file with 10 lines in it: terminal.exe startupsetings1

terminal.exe startupsetings2

Do I thinking right? And if I would like to test EA with 1000 variations, so I must create thousands of files? Or there are some other ways to atomate testing process or maybe creating these files?

2 question:

I have no success to saving test report files to specified location.

It is clear that this my line is not correct (.xls file):

TestReport=C:/Program Files/MetaTrader 4/tester/reports/EURUSD-21-11-2013

Could you help me with this?

3 question:

Could test reports be saved not in .htm, but in .txt ; .csv ; .xls formats?

Thank you

margiliauskas:

Hello,

I have couple rookie questions about configuration at startup and strategy tester:

1 question:

I want to test my EA with 10 variations of inputs. So I need to create:

1. 10 .set files with these variations (settings1.set, settings2.set,....)

2. 10 .txt files that specifies .set files (startupsetings1, startupsetings2,....)

3. and one .bat file with 10 lines in it: terminal.exe startupsetings1

terminal.exe startupsetings2

Do I thinking right? And if I would like to test EA with 1000 variations, so I must create thousands of files? Or there are some other ways to atomate testing process or maybe creating these files?

2 question:

I have no success to saving test report files to specified location.

It is clear that this my line is not correct (.xls file):

TestReport=C:/Program Files/MetaTrader 4/tester/reports/EURUSD-21-11-2013

Could you help me with this?

3 question:

Could test reports be saved not in .htm, but in .txt ; .csv ; .xls formats?

Thank you

No one has an answer to this question?

bjoern:

Great! Thank you.

Hello

I notice that TestShutdownTerminal=true doesn't seem to work on the last MT4 build 745 .

Would you know how to solve this issue?  Any turnaround ?

Thank you, 

I am having the same issue.... Terminal does not close even though ShutdownTerminal=true is set.
Reason: