EA makes no trades in live market - page 2

ernest02:

There are no attempts at any trades. (although as I said before - if I run a back test on the same period of the past week I get 5 transactions.)

I use different Magic Numbers to distinguish between the trades.

I have no problems while testing on a demo account. Could the problem be with my broker? I sent an e-mail to their support but have received no response so far.

How do you check the count of trades before you do ordersend function ???

ernest02:

I have no problems while testing on a demo account. Could the problem be with my broker? I sent an e-mail to their support but have received no response so far.

If it works on Demo with the same Broker then maybe the issue is account size . . . maybe your live account is too small to place the trades you can make under Demo ?

I think you need to add some debugging Print() messages so you can see what your code is doing and what it is not doing . . . I have 6 levels of Debug messages in my EA, from nothing, 0, to everything even including some loop index values, 5

Thanks for everybody trying to help.

RaptorUK I have enough equity for the transactions I want to enter. It is only mini lots at this time - 0.1 at a tme.

Not sure about the denitialize and initiliaze story. I have changed the "allowed to trade" and other options in the platform so that I do not need to do it every time I re-attach the EA.

How does this initialize thing work?

I am going to work through my log files and see where the EA was supposed to do a transaction (from my back test) and see if I can find out why it did not send a buy/sell transaction when it should have done.

Will let you know what I find.

Does your EA open trades based on signals from indicators ? If it does you might find you are not getting trades in real time because your indicators are repositioning, for example take two moving averages, you might say open a trade when moving average 1 is above moving average 2 and when the price is above moving average 1.

Your chart history might look like those conditions were met, but a trade was not opened, this can be because even though the top of the price bar was above MA1 at some point during its formation, MA1 was below MA2 at that time, then later when the price has fallen below MA1, the moving averages crossed.

This repositioning effect can occur with all manner of indicators and is often be the cause of unexplained activity by EA's

SDC:

This repositioning effect can occur with all manner of indicators and is often be the cause of unexplained activity by EA's

Why would this only happen on a Live account and not in Demo or the Strategy Tester ?

Well... strategy tester simulates the formation of the price bars, it does not have the data to form them the same way they were formed live. As for demo I am not sure, if I were you I would write code into your EA to write to the log file when your trade conditions are met, if the log records they were met but a trade was not opened, you will know there is a problem with the OrderSend() section of your code.

Also do you have an error handling function in your EA to deal with OrderSend() errors ?

SDC:

Well... strategy tester simulates the formation of the price bars, it does not have the data to form them the same way they were formed live. As for demo I am not sure,

OK, so it's nothing to do with "repositioning" . . .

@ RaptorUK How do you know ?

Also what was the purpose of highlighting my comment regarding the results on a demo account ?

SDC:

@ RaptorUK How do you know ?

Also what was the purpose of highlighting my comment regarding the results on a demo account ?

ernest has said that his EA takes trades in the Strategy Tester and on a Demo account but not on Live. If the issue was due to "repositioning" it would most likely be apparent in Demo as well as Live, wouldn't you agree ?

I was considering the demo account may not be using the same price feed as the live account
Reason: