Backtest Weekly Using Strategy Tester

Hi

I am wanting to backtest both weekly and monthly timeframes, but MT4's strategy tester only goes as high as daily. Is it at all possible to backtest higher timeframes?

cheers

honkin

No.

I would like to do this too. As I didn't found a way yet. I wrote a script to test my strategy. If anybody knows how to do, please, post here.

Rodorush:
I would like to do this too. As I didn't found a way yet. I wrote a script to test my strategy. If anybody knows how to do, please, post here.
Read this:  Testing Features and Limits in MetaTrader 4     it says "Weekly, monthly, and irregular timeframes are not tested"  this means you can't select to run your test on a W1 or MN1 chart.  

You can try the technique described in the article Testing Expert Advisors on Non-Standard Time Frames. If it works for non-standard timeframe, it should also for W1 or MN1 (I have not tried).

You may also convert your EA to MT5 and test it there on weekly and monthly timeframes as they are supported naturally by MT5 Strategy Tester.

angevoyageur:
You can try the technique described in the article Testing Expert Advisors on Non-Standard Time Frames. If it works for non-standard timeframe, it should also for W1 or MN1 (I have not tried).
I suspect that an EA that trades W1 or MN1 can still be run in the Strategy Tester just not on a Strategy Tester chart that is showing W1 or MN1 . . . I think the W1 and MN1 timeframe data is available . . .  I haven't specifically checked though. 

honkin:

Hi

I am wanting to backtest both weekly and monthly timeframes, but MT4's strategy tester only goes as high as daily. Is it at all possible to backtest higher timeframes?

cheers

honkin

You can get it to work if you stipulate the timeframe when you code your ea. Don't select anytime frame when coding. Then strategy tester in Mt4 will work for you.

Fritz Gewerth:

You can get it to work if you stipulate the timeframe when you code your ea. Don't select anytime frame when coding. Then strategy tester in Mt4 will work for you.

Fritz, could you elaborate on that? I have tried specifying PERIOD_W1 everywhere possible. But, I still see that the trades are acting upon the Daily chart when the tester is set to Daily, and M5 when set to M5, etc., etc...

This would really be great to accomplish.

Thanks.

Gary

Reason: