How to test a EA which simultaneously trades (independently) based on 2 timeframes on a single pair ? While strategy tester takes only one timeframe.

How to test a EA which simultaneously trades (independently) based on 2 timeframes on a single pair ? While strategy tester takes only one timeframe.

chandra100:

Timeframe selected in the settings is used to generate ticks.

There is no problem using multi-timeframe in your EA, simply use the needed function and the timeframe you want.

angevoyageur:

Timeframe selected in the settings is used to generate ticks.

There is no problem using multi-timeframe in your EA, simply use the needed function and the timeframe you want.

i dont get ur 1st sentence. ticks are irrelevant of timeframe right. 

according to u, what is the relation between ticks and timeframes. 

chandra100:

You are right my reply isn't very accurate. Ticks in Strategy Tester are generated on the base of M1 data.

For a single timeframe EA, selected in the ST settings, you can use 0 (PERIOD_CURRENT) in functions needing a ENUM_TIMEFRAME parameter, for example CopyOpen :

int  CopyOpen(
   string           symbol_name,     // symbol name
   ENUM_TIMEFRAMES  timeframe,       // period
   int              start_pos,       // start position
   int              count,           // data count to copy
   double           open_array[]     // target array to copy open prices
   );

For multi timeframe EA, you have to use explicit parameter like PERIOD_M5 or PERIOD_H1.

Seems this is the only involvement. I hope it's clear.

chandra100:

The timeframe in the Strategy Tester govers what you see in visual mode just as the timeframe on a live chart governs what you see on a chart,  you still have access to the other timeframe data in the Strategy Tester just as you do with a live chart.

RaptorUK:
The timeframe in the Strategy Tester govers what you see in visual mode just as the timeframe on a live chart governs what you see on a chart,  you still have access to the other timeframe data in the Strategy Tester just as you do with a live chart.
u r right. thank u.
Reason: