Can somebody help in analyzing these two results for the best? - page 2

Setting 2 has lower profit with lesser number of trade but the number of loss trade is low, the drawdown is also low, I think..

Instead of forexCoder i would go for Nr2.

May i ask if you used the optimizer on this EA?

I suggest you search some old thread regarding MAE, MFEE, RiskOfRuin. The values the strategy tester spits out are not statistically important. There are quite good scripts on mql (with a big thank you to 1005phillip)

If you can validate this results on forward trading you might have a nice edge. I assume there is still lots to do. Moneymanagement ecc. might even increase your profit.

A profit factor of >2 is not considered anymore as gambling, but you should know that usually on a the profitfactor decreases on each step from testing to demo trading to livetrading.

For analysis stuff check out this: https://www.mql5.com/en/forum/132675

there are tons of similar topics in the depth of this forum, but this on i remember.

cheers

@oladapolaleye

Why are you worried by the number of trades? If all goes according to your strategy, the number of trades should be what your strategy dictates. And since the computer is doing all the work, why bother with how many trades it created?

Also zzuegg, you didnt include any arguments as to why you chose number 2 :) Keep in mind that we're evaluating his results solely on what he posted.

Why are the values of strategy tester not statistically important? If that were true, then we'd not be doing back tests, but only try EAs in forward test. Did you mean that exact profit values and drawdowns are not to be depended on?

Indeed backtests are not reliable at all. On gaps the SL will still be executed at the price set. Spread increase is not simulated. Just to mention the biggest differences. Requote's, not the same calculation of swap/commision, no slippage would be the next.

I voted for number two because of the higher profit factor. You are right absolute drawdown is higher, but the relative one is smaller.

If you have a system based on entry and exit signals, it is always better to have a high profit factor, simply because in the future you can miss one or two trades and still be profitable, or you can afford to loose 5 pips on slippage/requotes.

What i want to say backtests give you only an overview on the general performance, and if there are some big bug's you should fix. Demotrading shows you the trading related issues, requote handling ecc. It might even confirm the results of the backtests.

But as most people use backtests, to know what profit you can expect, they are near to useless.

I have quite a good strategy, but if i backtest it over weekends, it will fail due a 10-20pip's spread. And in reality some trades are not tradeable because the spreadprotector rejects.-

Higher profit factor for me is more free room to miss a few pips. That and maybe the drawdown are the most important things i look in tester.

zzuegg:

Instead of forexCoder i would go for Nr2.

May i ask if you used the optimizer on this EA?

I suggest you search some old thread regarding MAE, MFEE, RiskOfRuin. The values the strategy tester spits out are not statistically important. There are quite good scripts on mql (with a big thank you to 1005phillip)

If you can validate this results on forward trading you might have a nice edge. I assume there is still lots to do. Moneymanagement ecc. might even increase your profit.

A profit factor of >2 is not considered anymore as gambling, but you should know that usually on a the profitfactor decreases on each step from testing to demo trading to livetrading.

For analysis stuff check out this: https://www.mql5.com/en/forum/132675

there are tons of similar topics in the depth of this forum, but this on i remember.

cheers

Thanks for your response.

I've gone out for a while and just returned. I did not use optimizer on this EA since I don't know how to use it and for what purpose. Any enlightenment will be appreciated.

forexCoder:

@oladapolaleye

Why are you worried by the number of trades? If all goes according to your strategy, the number of trades should be what your strategy dictates. And since the computer is doing all the work, why bother with how many trades it created?

Also zzuegg, you didnt include any arguments as to why you chose number 2 :) Keep in mind that we're evaluating his results solely on what he posted.

Why are the values of strategy tester not statistically important? If that were true, then we'd not be doing back tests, but only try EAs in forward test. Did you mean that exact profit values and drawdowns are not to be depended on?

Thanks forexCoder, I just came back from outside.

This EA works on Heiken Ashi candles and does not use take profit nor stop loss. The difference between the two is that in setting 2, I used an indicator to filter the trade so that the EA will not trade when there is no trend which now reduced the number of trades. I observed that this filtration filtered out some good and bad trades.

Am yet to conclude about the settings but still need contribution from people that know how EA works because am a novice in coding.

Reason: