Question: Economic Calendar

Hi all here,

if some of yours is using an economic calendar for news, what source you will recommend? DailyFX? Forex Factory?

Thx for your recommendation, EADeveloper

Forex factory here.

I'm surprised noone answered this prior to me, is this considered as advertising?

@forexCoder: No, I don't think it's considered Ad as even the mod's link outside forums for other questions.

Well DailyFX && Forex Factory are two of the best Free sources IMO. It's been about 6-months since I wrote my Fundamental EA. I used DailyFX information at the time because A) I was newbie and wanted to keep it simple. B) there was a tutorial on mql4.com on writing such a program and C) my focus was primarily on EURUSD. During the process of creating that EA DailyFx stopped offering real-time CSV file for the EURUSD. I contacted them and they said they're fixing the problem. I don't know if they did fix that.

Because of that, I started looking for other sources Forex Factory and others were good as well but they didn't offer the format in .CSV at least not one that I could find at the time. So I decided to learn to get the information Directly from the Html page. During that process, I again settled on DailyFx info because they included more information (On EURUSD Only) than all the rest I researched. If you've looked around, you'll find some good sources with nice structural html table pages but the main problem I had with them was that they're carrying the same data as Forex Factory but most of them had a cut-off date like not showing last hour's data. Some didn't show the previous results etc.

I managed to download and save about a Year 1/2 worth of DailyFx old CSV data and attempted to back-test. Long story short the results were Great but curve fitted. Example: Some of the fundamental reports I didn't know if they were positive or negative indicators. Since I had a laundry list of reports, I decided to test them individually based on the time they were released. If the market responded positively as it rise I considered it a positive indicator and otherwise if market didn't. Two problems with this 1- data is not released at time in scheduled in history (I was aware beforehand). 2-totally different meaning than what the report suggested. When running this in real-time, oh there's a 3rd one and most important back-tester's don't lock the platform when Critical reports gets released while real-brokers do; all those reasons made me lose interest in news trading.

If you're looking for a Visual News indicator, there are some really good ones out there for free on those other forums. Most (maybe all) use Factory info. If you're looking to EA news, I've just shared my experience and Recommend doing it in Real-time and Learning to extract data from html table - that way you wouldn't be limited to sites. I no long have the data (seen ur other post asking for it). Good Luck

Added: Woah - I wrote a book again :)))

ubzen:

@forexCoder: No, I don't think it's considered Ad as even the mod's link outside forums for other questions.

Well DailyFX && Forex Factory are two of the best Free sources IMO. It's been about 6-months since I wrote my Fundamental EA. I used DailyFX information at the time because A) I was newbie and wanted to keep it simple. B) there was a tutorial on mql4.com on writing such a program and C) my focus was primarily on EURUSD. During the process of creating that EA DailyFx stopped offering real-time CSV file for the EURUSD. I contacted them and they said they're fixing the problem. I don't know if they did fix that.

Because of that, I started looking for other sources Forex Factory and others were good as well but they didn't offer the format in .CSV at least not one that I could find at the time. So I decided to learn to get the information Directly from the Html page. During that process, I again settled on DailyFx info because they included more information (On EURUSD Only) than all the rest I researched. If you've looked around, you'll find some good sources with nice structural html table pages but the main problem I had with them was that they're carrying the same data as Forex Factory but most of them had a cut-off date like not showing last hour's data. Some didn't show the previous results etc.

I managed to download and save about a Year 1/2 worth of DailyFx old CSV data and attempted to back-test. Long story short the results were Great but curve fitted. Example: Some of the fundamental reports I didn't know if they were positive or negative indicators. Since I had a laundry list of reports, I decided to test them individually based on the time they were released. If the market responded positively as it rise I considered it a positive indicator and otherwise if market didn't. Two problems with this 1- data is not released at time in scheduled in history (I was aware beforehand). 2-totally different meaning than what the report suggested. When running this in real-time, oh there's a 3rd one and most important back-tester's don't lock the platform when Critical reports gets released while real-brokers do; all those reasons made me lose interest in news trading.

If you're looking for a Visual News indicator, there are some really good ones out there for free on those other forums. Most (maybe all) use Factory info. If you're looking to EA news, I've just shared my experience and Recommend doing it in Real-time and Learning to extract data from html table - that way you wouldn't be limited to sites. I no long have the data (seen ur other post asking for it). Good Luck

Added: Woah - I wrote a book again :)))

-> ForexCoder: No, dont worry, no advertising, only my interest!!!

-> Ubzen: Thank you for the book :-) And thank you much for your words and experience!

Np, now-a-days Daily-Fx have most releases color coordinated. I don't have much experience with Forex Factory.
Reason: