Why are the Metaquotes MT5 demo account running on a server with CET ?

Hi All,

Why are metaquotes demo account on MT5 on a server set on CET (Central European Time)? 

No brokers are using that time zone and as a result tests you do using the metaquotes demo account are useless because you will not find any brokers using CET. They are all on GMT+3 or GMT ?

Just curious if there is a reason behind what seems an odd server time zone.

Wip 

Documentation on MQL5: Standard Constants, Enumerations and Structures / Environment State / Account Properties
Documentation on MQL5: Standard Constants, Enumerations and Structures / Environment State / Account Properties
  • www.mql5.com
Standard Constants, Enumerations and Structures / Environment State / Account Properties - Documentation on MQL5

wiptheman:

Hi All,

Why are metaquotes demo account on MT5 on a server set on CET (Central European Time)? 

No brokers are using that time zone and as a result tests you do using the metaquotes demo account are useless because you will not find any brokers using CET. They are all on GMT+3 or GMT ?

Just curious if there is a reason behind what seems an odd server time zone.

Wip 

1) Why does it matter? Direct your question to MQ directly.

2) What does test time-zone have to-do with real-time zones?

- Why not convert demo-time to gmt+3 or gmt?

- Why bother with hard-coding time at all?

- Why not use bars instead and skip converting times? 

1) It matters because candle formation are different and if your EA (like mine) uses candle opening to enter the market the impact is very important.
For example a YTD Back test with same EA, same settings and same currency pair will return (in lmy case) 60% on a CET server and -80% on a GMT+3 server.

2) What I'm saying is that if you run some FWD or Back test using an MQ account you test will be on CET. If you then chose to go "live" with your EA you will have a hard time finding a broker that is on CET and thus with the same candle formation. I'm not talking here about hardcoding anyting just about the server time of the different brokers.

Good news is that there are some brokers that have their servers on CET and therefore have the same candle formations as the MQ demo server but they are not easy to find. 

wiptheman:

1) It matters because candle formation are different and if your EA (like mine) uses candle opening to enter the market the impact is very important.
For example a YTD Back test with same EA, same settings and same currency pair will return (in lmy case) 60% on a CET server and -80% on a GMT+3 server.

2) What I'm saying is that if you run some FWD or Back test using an MQ account you test will be on CET. If you then chose to go "live" with your EA you will have a hard time finding a broker that is on CET and thus with the same candle formation. I'm not talking here about hardcoding anyting just about the server time of the different brokers.

Good news is that there are some brokers that have their servers on CET and therefore have the same candle formations as the MQ demo server but they are not easy to find. 

The candle formations is always different from broker to broker regardless of time-zone, sorry.

Agreed but a Time Zone difference will change candle open & closing time. And that's a much bigger difference than spread differences among brokers.

wiptheman:
Agreed but a Time Zone difference will change candle open & closing time. And that's a much bigger difference than spread differences among brokers.

Agreed but its not just the spreads. They can both have the same fixed spreads but actual prices different. Use your Imagination for a second. Lets say you're a Signals provider and your Signal says to Sell when a Doji appears on the Daily_Chart. Now when ever you get a Doji, 90% of your subscribers do-not get the Doji. But they sell anyway based on your signals. Does this not create a Paradox in your mind? Think about it, and put yourself in their (server) shoes.

*Just a note if memory serves me correctly, someone once brought it to my attn that the difference in time affects the candles more upon candles which are greater than hourly_candles .. ex> 4_Hour and Daily candles. If someone is using hourly candles, the hours should start and end at the same time and same goes for minutes. Just wanted to point that out.

wiptheman:

If I were to be very critical,  you didn't ask for it so you can ignore me,  I would be inclined to think that the big difference in performance is due to curve fitting.
Reason: