Optimize question

Hello to all

No programs will optimize. Even the default MACD Sample or the Moving Average will not optimize. When any program is backtested, the results appear not to come close to how they were backtested earlier. Prior to this problem, meaning backtesting and optimization worked fine, I had just begun trading with the live server. To run Live Server, I had installed a second metatrader4 platform so that I could have a Demo and a Live Server running at the same time. Since the new installation, it seems that was when the results from the backtest appear to work, but the results are not the same are even close to the results from backtesting earlier. The optimization does not work at all.

Steps taken:

1. History center has been updated.

2. Global variables have been rechecked.

3. MetaTrader4 has been removed and reinstalled.

4. Used different dates.

5. Used different experts.

6. Clicked Expert Properties.

7. Installed the inputs and rechecked inputs.

8. Saved inputs.

9. Checked the Optimize box.

10. Clicked start.

All appears to be good. But there are no results. Blank???

Any help out there.

Regards Huckleberry

Well it seems that you do know how to use the optimizer. What seems to be missing from your steps listed above is choosing which parameters to optimize and what range to optimize over. Forgetting to do that is the only way I've ever gotten blank results from the optimizer.

Hello Anomalous

The parameters I last used was:

1. Checked the input for Profit listed for Global Variable as

a. Value 57 which means nothing if the box is checked.

b. Start is 0.5

c. Step is 0.1

d. Stop is 2.0

When the Optimization is completed, there is suppose to be 16 possible results. The optimization sheet is blank, although 16 had been calculated???

Thank you for your attention to the matter. Any further help would be considered.

Regards

Huckleberry

Go to the "Optimization Results" tab in strategy tester. Right-click the background area of the tab. Uncheck "Skip Useless Results". Rerun the optimization.

More than likely what is happening is that all your backtested parameter combinations are resulting in net losses, no profit, and strategy tester is filtering these results as being "useless".

Hello 1005phillip

This did clear things up. I was useing a short time period and tight TP for testing the program.

Thank you.

Regards

Huckleberry

Reason: