Exporting EA and sending to another user - what's the best way?

Ok, I know this sounds like a silly question, but what is the best method to export an EA and send to another user? I had copied my MQL code into an .mq4 file and emailed it to the guy, but he seems to have problems viewing the parameters in MT4. Did I do something wrong? is .mq4 supposed to be compiled code or source?

Thanks,

B

u can send it as a TXT file

qjol:

u can send it as a TXT file

The guy I'm sending it to is a 60+ year old who has limited computer skills, let alone programming ability. I just didn't know if there was an import/export feature in MT4 that would facilitate an easy importation of the code. I guess there is not...? So what I did was correct? Just send him the code in a txt file, then have him create the EA on his instance of MT4 and copy the code directly into the EA? Ungh... this is going to be fun explaining..

bhahn1800:

Ok, I know this sounds like a silly question, but what is the best method to export an EA and send to another user? I had copied my MQL code into an .mq4 file and emailed it to the guy, but he seems to have problems viewing the parameters in MT4. Did I do something wrong? is .mq4 supposed to be compiled code or source?

Thanks,

B

Hi Bhahn,

Yes...The MT4 code needs to be compiled first.

Run MetaEditor and open the file and compile it, then it will be ready for use.

The mq4 code you sent him should work fine once compliled and you can keep the steps simple for him.

Hope this helps,
Robert

mt4 will automatically compile everything it finds in the experts folder that is not yet compiled if you exit and restart mt4.

just send him the .mq4 file (send it as it is, no need for export or copying to a text file or anything), just find the .mq4 file in your experts folder, send it to him and instruct him to put it into his experts folder and restart his mt4.

7bit:

mt4 will automatically compile everything it finds in the experts folder that is not yet compiled if you exit and restart mt4.

just send him the .mq4 file (send it as it is, no need for export or copying to a text file or anything), just find the .mq4 file in your experts folder, send it to him and instruct him to put it into his experts folder and restart his mt4.

How do I send him an EA without the source, just compiled?

bhahn1800:

How do I send him an EA without the source, just compiled?
send him the .ex4 file instead, the other instructions stay the same.