Alerts when MT4 Crashes

Hi,

Just wonding if anyone out there can assist. I like a few others on the forum, are experiencing MT4 platform crashes when running several instances on a VPS server.

I am wondering if there is anything built into MT4, or other software that can notify us when such a crash happens, so the platform can be restarted.

Regards

Dolmio

dolmio:

Just wonding if anyone out there can assist. I like a few others on the forum, are experiencing MT4 platform crashes when running several instances on a VPS server.

I am wondering if there is anything built into MT4, or other software that can notify us when such a crash happens, so the platform can be restarted.

If MT4 is crashing then your priority should be to fix it, rather than to be notified when it happens, or to have the platform automatically restarted. Some sort of monitoring is useful and advisable, but the bottom line is that MT4 shouldn't crash. I run something like 40 MT4 instances, from multiple brokers, across multiple servers, and none of them has ever crashed.

There are also technical issues around automatically re-starting an instance of MT4 which has crashed but has not yet terminated (i.e. crash dialog box still on screen).

Judging by the posts on this forum which you have clearly also read, I'd try downgrading from build 226 to 225, and/or making sure that your EAs have been compiled specifically for whichever build you are using.

jjc:
If MT4 is crashing then your priority should be to fix it, rather than to be notified when it happens, or to have the platform automatically restarted. Some sort of monitoring is useful and advisable, but the bottom line is that MT4 shouldn't crash. I run something like 40 MT4 instances, from multiple brokers, across multiple servers, and none of them has ever crashed.

There are also technical issues around automatically re-starting an instance of MT4 which has crashed but has not yet terminated (i.e. crash dialog box still on screen).

Judging by the posts on this forum which you have clearly also read, I'd try downgrading from build 226 to 225, and/or making sure that your EAs have been compiled specifically for whichever build you are using.

Thanks so much for your reply. And I agree with you, but getting the right advice is harder than I imagined. I am working on gettting the correct builds and recompilng some of the EA's. In the mean time I was just looking for a temporary measure. Interesting thing is, that I just had a crash only yesterday and it was on an EA already compiled on version 226. It left no error message when it crashed either. Just found the whole platform closed. Very bizare.

Do you know by any chance if the MT4 programers are working on a fix?

Cheers

Dolmio

dolmio:

Thanks so much for your reply. And I agree with you, but getting the right advice is harder than I imagined. I am working on gettting the correct builds and recompilng some of the EA's. In the mean time I was just looking for a temporary measure. Interesting thing is, that I just had a crash only yesterday and it was on an EA already compiled on version 226. It left no error message when it crashed either. Just found the whole platform closed. Very bizare.

Do you know by any chance if the MT4 programers are working on a fix?

Cheers

Dolmio

I had an issue with Windows Vista compiled .ex4 from MT4 Build 226. Crash occurs particularly when I backtest the EA. I had since changed to Win XP for compiling the source code.

Hi !

I was most crazy like hell when those "things" happened. I keep on reinstalling the MT4, yet the same problem comes ! Now OK, everything runs normal on my pc - Win 7 . Try this ..

1. In MT4 build 226 ( new version ), go to its folder and runs liveupdate.exe . Upon finishing all those, check your custom Indicators/EAs to confirm everything which you want to use has been compiled. No harm in recompiling them one by one. Just to make sure.

2. Let them run while you trade for roughly about one ( 1 ) hour. I assume if within that period no problem comes, that means OK.

3. If problems still comes, go back to MT4 build 225 and when it ask for update, click " NO ". But this job of clicking NO NO NO was tiring enough !

Note : There might be some issues which " they " haven't solve yet. Be patience !... one creteria a trader must have. PEACE ...period !

Reason: