init() function

Is init() function used only one time when the expert advisor is initalized or init() function is used more times by the expert ?

I ask because I don't know where is better set default values for defined variables : on init() function or as an extern value.

puncher:

Is init() function used only one time when the expert advisor is initalized or init() function is used more times by the expert ?

From https://docs.mql4.com/runtime/start:

Immediately after the program has been attached to the chart, it starts working with the init() function. The init() function of an expert advisor or a custom indicator attached to the chart will run just after client terminal has started and history data (this concerns only experts, but not indicators) have been loaded additionally, after the symbol and/or chart period have been changed, after the program has been recompiled in MetaEditor, after inputs have been changed from the window of expert or custom indicator settings. An expert will also be initialized after the account has been changed.

I'm being pedantic and I suspect it won't matter for OP, but I'm not so sure that description is technically accurate. In my (limited) experience, init() is called at the first tick after attaching it to the chart rather than immediately. I have had trouble with my connection managment EA and if on a restart, there is no tick, it won't load the init() of the EA.

My 2 cents

V

Viffer:

[...] In my (limited) experience, init() is called at the first tick after attaching it to the chart rather than immediately. [...]

Nope. start() runs at first tick, but init() runs immediately after attachment (regardless of incoming ticks). It won't run if there is no connection to the server.
Reason: