Download MetaTrader 5

Median in timeseries array - page 2

To add comments, please log in or register
Viffer
Viffer  

Not sure I follow 100%... where len is even, division by 2 will always return an integer. When it's odd I need it to ignore the decimal and return just the integer. 5/2 = 2.5 as a double but 2 as an int. So len as int is best. Am I missing something?

Phillip
Phillip  
Viffer:

Not sure I follow 100%... where len is even, division by 2 will always return an integer. When it's odd I need it to ignore the decimal and return just the integer. 5/2 = 2.5 as a double but 2 and an int. So len as int is best. Am I missing something?

The mean value of the two array values involves a division by 2, you need to make this a 2. (a double) instead of just 2 (an int) otherwise your mean value computation will fall into an integer typecast in the event that the array values themselves are integer values (even if the array itself is defined as a double).

mean = (Integer+Integer)/2 = (Integer+Integer)/Integer = Integer

mean = (Integer+Integer)/2. = (Integer+Integer)/Double = Double

You want your mean value, representing the median, to be a double and not typecast to an integer value.

Viffer
Viffer  

Ah... I see what you mean. I read https://book.mql4.com/basics/expressions but understand from that that if median is declared as double (as it is in on the first line of the block), it will return a double even if doubles and intergers are mixed int the calculation...

double mean = (Integer+Integer)/2 = (Integer+Integer)/Integer = double

I might be about to have a "duh" moment but it hasn't slapped me in the face yet....your help in expediating the slap when it finally comes is gratefully received. So am I missing something?

V

(I'm off to watch opener on World Cup)

Phillip
Phillip  

double mean = (Integer+Integer)/2 = (Integer+Integer)/Integer = double

Incorrect, the variable "mean" will be a double but the value it will be holding as computed by the integer/integer will be an integer value.

https://docs.mql4.com/basis/types/casting

Examples:

int    i = 1 / 2;     // no types casting, the result is 0
int    i = 1 / 2.0;   // the expression is cast to the double type, then is to the target type of int, the result is 0
double d = 1.0 / 2.0; // no types casting, the result is 0.5
double d = 1 / 2.0;   // the expression is cast to the double type that is the same as the target type, the result is 0.5    <- I want you to ensure this happens
double d = 1 / 2;     // the expression of the int type is cast to the target type of double, the result is 0.0              <- this one applies to you in your current calculation method
string s = 1.0 / 8;   // the expression is cast to the double type, then is to the target type of string, the result is "0.12500000" (the string containing 10 characters)
string s = NULL;      // the constant of type int is cast to the target type of string, the result is "0" (the string containing 1 character)
string s = "Ticket #"+12345; // the expression is cast to the string type that is the same as the target type, the result is "Ticket #12345"
Viffer
Viffer  
double d = 1 / 2;     // the expression of the int type is cast to the target type of double, the result is 0.0 

Well I honestly didn't know that. thanks for pointing it out. I can see it now though int/int=int then cast to a double so 1/2=0 then cast to 0.0... all makes sense.

I think I ought to have another look through all my other code!

Thanks again

V

[I've updated the function code in case anyone is using it]

Helmut
Helmut  
1005phillip:

Incorrect, the variable "mean" will be a double but the value it will be holding as computed by the integer/integer will be an integer value.

https://docs.mql4.com/basis/types/casting

Examples:

Amazing what one can learn just by eavesdropping the discussions on this forum.
Константин Сапогов
Константин Сапогов  

Hello

I use Time Series to create new order with SL and TP based on median bar size from, may be it could help:

input double SL_Mult, // StopLoss Multiplier
             TP_Mult; // TakeProfit Multiplier

double ArrHigh[], ArrLow[], M_Point1, M_Point2, M_High, M_Low, MedianBarSize, MinStopLevel, SL, TP;
string symb=Symbol();
int TimeFrame=Period();

{

BarsCount = iBars(symb, Timeframe);

CopyHigh(symb,TimeFrame,0,BarsCount,ArrHigh); // copy Time Series
   CopyLow(symb,TimeFrame,0,BarsCount,ArrLow);

ArraySort(ArrHigh,WHOLE_ARRAY,0,MODE_ASCEND); //Sort Ascending
   ArraySort(ArrLow,WHOLE_ARRAY,0,MODE_ASCEND); 

M_Point1 = MathFloor(BarsCount /2);    // First half end point
   M_Point2 = MathCeil((BarsCount /2)+1); // Second half start point

M_High = (ArrHigh[M_Point1]+ArrHigh[M_Point2])/2; // Median High
   M_Low = (ArrLow[M_Point1]+ArrLow[M_Point2])/2; // Median Low
   MedianBarSize = NormalizeDouble((M_High-M_Low),Digits); // Median Bar Size

MinStopLevel = MarketInfo(symb,MODE_STOPLEVEL);

SL=NormalizeDouble(OpeningPrice_Bid+MinStopLevel+(MedianBarSize*SL_Mult),Digits);  // SL based on Median Bar Size
   TP=NormalizeDouble(OpeningPrice_Ask-MinStopLevel-(MedianBarSize*TP_Mult),Digits);  // TP based on Median Bar Size  
   if (SL<=MinStopLevel) SL=MinStopLevel;
   if (TP<=MinStopLevel) TP=MinStopLevel;
}
graziani
graziani  

To speed things up you can:

1) Add new values to already sorted array -> this way Copy() and Sort() get executed faster

2) Write a custom Sort() based on better/more suitable algorithm

Nothing else, median calculation requires a sorted array.

Also, as Viffer wrote, median is defined differently for odd and even size of array.

To add comments, please log in or register