Max Bars in Chart/History

Hi everybody

I have a problem with CPU usage when running mt4 through wine.

I only trade one currency pair, on the 1min or occasionally 5min charts.

So I have reduced the number of indicators as much as I can, and removed other currency pairs.

However, the only way I can get the CPU load down is by significantly reducing the max bars in chart/history settings.

I do not backtest, but I would like to know if reducing the number of bars will effect indicators?

Many thanks!

toast:
I do not backtest, but I would like to know if reducing the number of bars will effect indicators?
  • 'Max bars in history' affects disk usage only (and does not affect memory) - this is a limit on the number of bars saved to the *.hst files.
  • 'Max bars in chart' is a limit on the number of bars that any indicator/expert/script has access to; it might or might not affect them depending on whether they try to access the bars beyond this limit.

Thanks for the prompt reply!

So if an indicator attempts to access bars beyond the limit, will it generate an error log file? Essentially, I don't want to be using an indicator oblivious to the fact that it is not working as I expect it to!

toast:
So if an indicator attempts to access bars beyond the limit, will it generate an error log file? Essentially, I don't want to be using an indicator oblivious to the fact that it is not working as I expect it to!

Most indicators will be designed not to use more bars then they can access, so errors will probably not occur. But obviously some indicators need a minimum amount of data for meaningful results; it depends on the specific indicator.

Great - thanks for clearing that up!
Reason: