Max Bars in Chart/History

To add comments, please log in or register
[Deleted]  
Hi everybody

I have a problem with CPU usage when running mt4 through wine.

I only trade one currency pair, on the 1min or occasionally 5min charts.

So I have reduced the number of indicators as much as I can, and removed other currency pairs.

However, the only way I can get the CPU load down is by significantly reducing the max bars in chart/history settings.

I do not backtest, but I would like to know if reducing the number of bars will effect indicators?

Many thanks!
gordon
gordon  
toast:
I do not backtest, but I would like to know if reducing the number of bars will effect indicators?
  • 'Max bars in history' affects disk usage only (and does not affect memory) - this is a limit on the number of bars saved to the *.hst files.
  • 'Max bars in chart' is a limit on the number of bars that any indicator/expert/script has access to; it might or might not affect them depending on whether they try to access the bars beyond this limit.
[Deleted]  
Thanks for the prompt reply!

So if an indicator attempts to access bars beyond the limit, will it generate an error log file? Essentially, I don't want to be using an indicator oblivious to the fact that it is not working as I expect it to!
gordon
gordon  
toast:
So if an indicator attempts to access bars beyond the limit, will it generate an error log file? Essentially, I don't want to be using an indicator oblivious to the fact that it is not working as I expect it to!

Most indicators will be designed not to use more bars then they can access, so errors will probably not occur. But obviously some indicators need a minimum amount of data for meaningful results; it depends on the specific indicator.

[Deleted]  
Great - thanks for clearing that up!
To add comments, please log in or register