the MQL4 book

dear traders,
I am having troubles with the book on here. I have started reading through it, but know for a fact that I will not remember everything, theres so much to remember.
is there another way that I can go about learning MQL4?
I need to be able to relate what I am learning to something I know. the book explains how to use certain aspects of mql4, but theres not many examples that are related to actual trading strateries, if it were related to trading strateries, it would probably be easier to remember. I need step by step, practical, using and doing, the language all broken down into the exact straight to the point meaning, I have no programing experience.
please help

ellie2010

ellie2010 wrote >>

I have no programing experience.

This is common, many of us do not have formal programming training or experience and each person learns in their own ways so what works well for some people won't necessarily work well for others.

What worked well for me was to spend lots of time looking thru the articles and the code base.

Work thru the published codes line by line, by work thru I mean open up metaeditor and manually type in every line of code you see in the articles (don't just copy and paste).

As I did this I would naturally develop questions - "why did they use Bars-1 instead of just Bars?" etc, and so I would highlight the word and press F1 and learn a little more about it.

1005phillip wrote >>

This is common, many of us do not have formal programming training or experience and each person learns in their own ways so what works well for some people won't necessarily work well for others.

What worked well for me was to spend lots of time looking thru the articles and the code base.

Work thru the published codes line by line, by work thru I mean open up metaeditor and manually type in every line of code you see in the articles (don't just copy and paste).

As I did this I would naturally develop questions - "why did they use Bars-1 instead of just Bars?" etc, and so I would highlight the word and press F1 and learn a little more about it.

thats good advice, I will try that thanks.

I recommend taking a simple sample EA and using the book and docs to annotate exactly what each line does. CB
Reason: