Build 225 Problem With Strategy Tester

I run an EA on Strategy Tester (eg: MA SampleEA) and it gets good results.

When I "Save As" and rename it (eg: MA SampleEA-Test) and run it on Strategy Tester (with no code changes), the copy goes wild with uncontrolled trades.

I even tried to start with building a new EA and copy/paste the original code, and the copy still does not trade properly.

The EA copy results are always different than the original results...and I've checked line by line and no code has been changed.

I tried closing and re-starting my MT4 Demo account, but the copy EA's still have the same problems.

The original EA's continue to perform well, but it continues to be a frustrating problem not being able to duplicate the results between the original EA's and the copies.

Is this a problem with Build 225 or am I missing something important?

Thanks!

Robert

Looks like being something of cosmic origins. :) Do you have the same settings on each run? You could save the set from the one that works & load it in the one that fails just to proove the point. Also do a binary check of the 2 compiled files. If they are the same the problem is external to the code ie settings or not the file running that you think it is. You could post the compiled files so others could do the same test for you.

When I "Save As" and rename it (eg: MA SampleEA-Test) and run it on Strategy Tester (with no code changes), the copy goes wild with uncontrolled trades.

Hi Robert I've seen uncontrolled trades when....1. Running forward tests Demo/or Live EA's that use globalvariables that can be (ARE) changed by backtesting EA's writing to the same globalvariable (They are not kept separate)... 2. The other time I've seen uncontrolled trades is when the EA has code not properly Normalized or *Point... Post it and we can take a look at what the problem may be....

n8937g:

Hi Robert I've seen uncontrolled trades when....1. Running forward tests Demo/or Live EA's that use globalvariables that can be (ARE) changed by backtesting EA's writing to the same globalvariable (They are not kept separate)... 2. The other time I've seen uncontrolled trades is when the EA has code not properly Normalized or *Point... Post it and we can take a look at what the problem may be....

Hi Ruptor and n8937q...!

Thanks to both of you for your suggestions.

Ruptor - Settings -I did check the set files and they were the same...and the files were basically the same size (accounting for a few lines that I added in the copy and then blanked out to make sure it was exactly the same as the original). When all code lines were the same, I still get the wild trades on the copy.

What seems to be the problem is the original EA placed 5+ trades on a bar (usually profit trades) and the copy went wild with 100's of trades on the same bar...all losses.

n8937q - The EA uses no global variables and here is my Point source:
Points = MarketInfo (Symbol(), MODE_POINT);
Both original and copy use this same Point code.

What is now even more confusing is... after I read your suggestions, I went back to start all over with a new download of the EA...and when I ran it, the results were entirely different than the first original that I downloaded earlier. The good news it that copies of this download do not (yet) repeat the same wild trades, but I'm left confused as to being able to reproduce the earlier problems or match the results.

So, I think I may have MT4 platform problems or problems with my computer. I will start completely over and download a new MT4 Demo account and also check my system for viruses or other problems. If I find out anything of value, I will share it with you both and with this forum.

Meanwhile...here is the EA I am working with - called MACD_signals.mq4. mq4 - from TSD Forum. Here is the link below so you can download it directly (and eliminate any possible problems my system may cause).

MACD_signals.mq4 .mq4
EA Found on TSD free forum - See post #3
https://www.forex-tsd.com/indicators-metatrader-4/87-indicators-alert-signal.html
(note - the EA name does have the .mt4[space].mt4 so it's not a mistake in the name, just poor naming convention)

This EA has an interesting use of "delta" values. I was starting to get some interesting results by disabling a warning statement about "TP less than 10" (nowhere does it actually affect the EA other than stop it working). I used TP=5, TS=5, no SL, and I added the following code to the buy/sell logic, then played with the MA periods to see different results.

Added Variable:
MacdCurrent=iMACD(NULL,0,Pfast,Pslow,Psignal,PRICE_CLOSE,MODE_MAIN,0) ;

Added Buy/Sell Logic:
Buy - && MacdCurrent>0.001
Sell - && MacdCurrent<-0.001

Good luck and again thank you both for your support!
Robert

Reason: