MQL4 Flow Chart

Hi,

The big old lumbering tortoise has poked his head out occasionally to check out the terrain for quite some time now and has finally accepted the inevitable! At this time of the year at least I can now claim that ‘molasses doesn’t flow very fast in the cold weather and barely moves at all!’ So I’ve done an outstanding job of avoiding and delaying getting into programming in MQL4 with the hopes that I could find other easier ways to accomplish the same functionality and results but I’m finally to the point of having to accept the inevitable and jump in with both feet. Brrr. That water is freezing!

To this end I prefer to start by constructing a flow chart to map out the desired program flow, logic and algorithm until I have it mapped out correctly. Then I will gradually fill it out and expand it with the proper MQL4 code (that’s where it really starts to get interesting for moi: bravely? stumbling along as many before me have done (< 8) to provide the functionality of the completed flow chart until I have the finished product and the Flow Chart ends up being sectional / modules heading documentation.

So any suggestions for Windows Flow Chart software solutions for this approach? Preferably ones that are orientated to this specific type of application.

I also prefer to make everything as modular as possible for specific tasks that I can repeatedly utilize them in other programs any time these same specific tasks and functions are required by utilizing included files as much as possible and slower library files when included files or headers won’t do the job. Though I don’t understand as of yet what the differences and distinctions for included/header files, library files and DLL files are and what each of these coded components options strengths, limitations and functions are and where to apply each one and where NOT to try and utilize them. The only thing that I have learned is this area so far is that 'included' files process faster than library files.

They say that they beginning of all knowledge is: ‘I do not know’ and I can honestly say at this point in time that about sums up my knowledge of MQL4 so I’ve got no place to go except upwards and onwards.

With this modular approach in mind, I want to strive to keep the actual mql/ex4 programs as short as possible with documentation specifying what the included module etc functions that I am ‘calling’ to use in the main ‘parent’ program is and what each called module does and will accomplish.

(8 >) . A Happy, Healthy and Prosperous New Year to One and All . (< 8)

I don't use Windows at all these days, but from memory, Microsoft Visio would be one solution.

Regarding the documentation of modules, I'd recommend structuring this as "Interface" and "Behaviour". Check the documentation in this site for example.

Regarding your desire to keep your code concise, if your posts are anything to go by, then I'll believe it when I see it! No offense intended :-)

CB

Doug...Really the best "Flow Chart" may just be a pencil and paper.... It's very quick and can easily be modified... After I visualize it on paper I put it to code...

you have not written a single line of code and try to make a flow chart ...

why do you think that your flow chart can be realized in MQL4 ?

oh yes, i know, its not your problem, its the problem of the developers of MQL4 and additional MY problem if your flow chart cant be realized

n8937g:

Doug...Really the best "Flow Chart" may just be a pencil and paper.... It's very quick and can easily be modified... After I visualize it on paper I put it to code...

Hi,

I understand your point, but the approach is basically the same. It’s just the difference of the planning and layout medium. I prefer a virtual model to complete the planning, original layout and flow chart until I have the program (execution) laid out as I want it because I can't afford that many erasers! (< 8)

cloudbreaker:

I don't use Windows at all these days, but from memory, Microsoft Visio would be one solution.

Regarding the documentation of modules, I'd recommend structuring this as "Interface" and "Behaviour". Check the documentation in this site for example.

Regarding your desire to keep your code concise, if your posts are anything to go by, then I'll believe it when I see it! No offense intended :-)

CB

Hi CB,

Using Unix/Linux OS these days?

I've found some solutions to flow charts including a basic template for Excel. I haven’t checked them out in any detail as of yet to determine which one I will end up using. Given the plethora of computers today and the massive amounts of software for them, it’s strange that there aren’t more specialized Flow Chart / Software Logic Design tools available on the market for this purpose.

Thanks for the tips on the ‘Interface’ and ‘Behaviour’, I’ll study them before I start laying out the flow chart.

I have been trying to get the OnLine ‘Documentation’ from here assembled on my computer as it is inaccessible to me here as it stands. I started reconstructing it piece by piece on my computer but that just isn’t realistic. Rosh was going to try help me out with it, but he’s over worked already; let alone with getting v5 up and running on top of everything else.

LoL Good one CB. Touché! Point taken and awarded (< 8) I’ll be restricted by the constraints of MQL4 in any programming I do. But take heart, there is still this forum that has no such constraints. Something for you to look forward to in the new year to come !

How was your ChristMass Season? You and yours have a good one? I expect the pace was a little slower for you. I hope you got some enjoyable R&R in.

(8 >) Health, Happiness, Contentment and Prosperity to You and Yours in this New Year and Decade (< 8)

meikel:

you have not written a single line of code and try to make a flow chart ...

why do you think that your flow chart can be realized in MQL4 ?

oh yes, i know, its not your problem, its the problem of the developers of MQL4 and additional MY problem if your flow chart cant be realized

Actually it is my problem.

Which is why I am starting with a Flow Chart.

Ding Dong

DougRH4x:

Hi CB,

Using Unix/Linux OS these days?

I have been trying to get the OnLine ‘Documentation’ from here assembled on my computer as it is inaccessible to me here as it stands. I started reconstructing it piece by piece on my computer but that just isn’t realistic.

How was your ChristMass Season? You and yours have a good one? I expect the pace was a little slower for you. I hope you got some enjoyable R&R in.)

I use OSX.

My alphabetic list of MQL functions may help you out.

Good Christmas and New Year thanks. Multiple bereavements have conspired to leave me recently completely "orphaned". But got through the season very well thanks.

Best,

CB

maybe a visual programming language helps you to make the base code

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visual_programming_language

some are working like a flow chart and create editable code.

MQL4 is like C, so maybe you find one which creates C code and modify it later with MQL4 functions

or have a look here

https://forum.mql4.com/27961

Hi CB,

I use OSX.

That is Mac/Apple is it not ?

My alphabetic list of MQL functions may help you out.

Anything and everything will help me with MQL4 at this stage for me thanks though I have many things from many different realms requiring my very limited time and energy with the state of my health. So please do not judge me too harshly at the slow rate which I may progress, if at all for that matter! LoL (< 8)

How/where do I access it please?

Multiple bereavements have conspired to leave me recently completely "orphaned".

I’m very sorry to hear that. While it is part of our Spiral of Life and there is no ReBirth without Death but it can be very brutal when close to us. In many senses, especially when we lose a dear, cherished loved one that was very close to us, it makes us very aware of our own mortality and makes the reality of our own Deathy all too real. There is a reason that many of the other Gods and Goddesses conspired to destroy Chronos. They were unable to but only succeeded in banishing Him to the edge of Existence for Eternity. We were never intended to descend this far into Matter, nor to be mortal when the GodHead set things in motion for the creation and distinctions of the hierarchs. As one of the many higher and advanced beings such as the 12 Bodhisattvas that descend to walk amongst us and assist us and guide us throughout our own Spiritual evolution of Consciousness both as individuals and as a species, the Christ being, whom only was present here on Earth for 3 years when John the Baptist facilitated the descending of the Christ into the person of Jesus when he was 30, one of Christ’s primary missions was to truly incarnate into a mortal being and go through the experience of Death as God and other hierarchies being Immortals have no experience and knowledge of Death and thus could not be as effective as needed to help guide us through this unforeseen stage of evolution. The body of Jesus could not of contained so pure and intense Spiritual being of the Christ for more than 3 years and he would of have passed on at about the same time even if He had not been crucified. This was part of His Sacrifice to aid and help guide us back into the realm of the Immortals, but paradoxically eventually to become completely reunited with ‘God’ but nevertheless retaining our individuality and ‘seperation’. It was in fact the mission of the Jews in the Old testament that lived by the Ten Commandments for thousands of years in order to evolve to provide a being such as the vessel of Jesus that was able to contain a much higher Spiritual being of the Christ to descend into for just three years in order to assist us. So take Heart CB, we don’t come from nothing, and we don’t become nothing after we shake of this mortal coil and continue on. In fact it takes us a period of about 1/3 of our life here which is approximately the time that we slept for while here as a physical being on Earth, that we are still near the Earth and going through a period of the purification of our Astral or feeling body that we share with the (higher) animals and where we go to at night every time we dream and we slowly become more removed from our Earth as this progresses. This is known as the ‘Kamaloka’ purification period or transition that we must go through that before we can continue on in our journey.

Virtually every society and culture has a tradition of waiting three days and nights before attending to the now lifeless Physical body that once contained and was formed by our Spirit Ego, Astral Feeling, and Etheric Life bodies. This is because our Etheric or Life body that we share with plants and the other animals is not ours but is truly of the Life body of our Mother Earth: Gaia and when our physical being can no longer be maintained and sustained by the Life force and the toll that the Spirit and Astral bodies takes on the Etheric and Physical body, the Etheric life force of our Mother Earth slowly seeps back into our Mother Earth whose life force it truly is and always was.

If you have any interest in such matters, knowledge and wisdom or find solace in it, you may find a good starting point at http://www.goetheanum.org/45.html?L=1

If I can be of any support or sympathetic assistance to you in this difficult time and matters CB, please ask me. I will be privileged to serve and assist you in this realm in any way that I can CB. It is also a realm that I am quite adept at.

Though this may be a bit premature, I to have recently learned some information and knowledge that my time to pass on may also be close at hand. I do not fear it nor morn for it, but do have serious regrets in having squandering most of my precious time here and have only very recently set about attempting to fulfill my life’s work at this late date. Time is truly the most precious gift and commodity that we have during this phase of our existence and cannot be regained. It is a fact of our mortal existence that we are all ‘Dying’ from the moment we are Born. Though neither of these points along the way are truly neither the Beginning nor the End, neither the Alpha nor the Omega. I may have some little influence over it, but as with many things for us mortal demi-Gods, it is in the hands of the Fates.

Good Christmas and New Year thanks.

But got through the season very well thanks.

I went through many years of serious depression in my 30s. For quite a significant portion of my adult life, I have had very serious bouts of ChristMass depression. So when anyone asks me if I had a good ChristMass season (which is the 12 days of ChristMass and not just December the 25th which is only the first day of the ChristMass HolyDays season with each day being indicative of a month in the year to come, though not in the same chronological order) I reply that any ChristMass season now that I do not get the ChristMass Blues is a good ChristMass. Most ChristMass seasons in recent years for me have been ‘good ChristMasses for me, but not this one that is just passing. But old Chronos just keeps carrying on, which like most curses is also a blessing and vica-versa. All gifts come at a cost, every tragedy has it’s balancing compensation.

Best,

CB

Warm regards and sympathies CB,

Doug

PS: I was adding some information about the loss of the rights of passage for boys to Men in our modern ‘civilized’ societies in an edit window on MQL4 when I accidentally closed the window and lost it all. This is one of the reasons that I try to do most such things in Word because of its constantly UpDated ‘AutoSave’ feature. Suffice to say that it has come at a cost to many of us ‘modern men’ that end up to some degrees being trapped as Puer Aeternus ‘The Eternal Youth’ or the ‘Peter Pan’ syndrome. Girls still have a natural rites of passage into Womanhood when they start to menstruate and become fertile. Alas for many such men, they are unable to continue on fully with their inner and outer (Spiritual) growth and fully realize and manifest their own (Free) Will and manifest there external worldly power which is the Male’s Domain. I know this one only too well from firsthand experience. On another level it removes the ‘survival of the fittest’ test that exists for all living things other than our modern ‘civilized’ people, especially men. Some manage to finally obtain it when another natural ‘rites of passage’ occurs: the loss of both of an individual’s immediate progenitors. A sad and costly state of affairs on numerous levels.

FYI: The World Health Organization (WHO) have extrapolated to 2020 and predicts that depression will become the second most common reason for Death surpassed only by cancer. Cancer has a very unique and different pathology that unlike most illnesses that are caused by the death of specific aspects of life, cancer is life run amuck and growth gone out of control.

I didn’t mean to ‘bring you down’ (further) with this ‘stream of (un)consciousness’ CB, Sorry!

Hi Meikel,

Actually I am doing it quite consciously as I have a tendency to do the exact opposite: Just start working on it and learn and work my way through it as I go. While I always succeed in the end, it definitely does not end up producing the best, well ordered and smoothly functioning result. Also it leaves big gaps in my knowledge of aspects that I did not require initially. So it is for this very reason that I want to determine very clearly, as others have suggested to me, that I have the proper structure and flow worked out and have a very clear path and vision laid out that I now need to transform into MQL4 code that will accomplish what I desire and now have a very clear idea of it in its entirety before I start to actually coding it. I have no doubts that though the self discipline to do this will be difficult for me, this will result in a much better constructed and effective program and result and hopefully help to establish a solid base that I can build upon to become a good and productive programmer.

I have run across many instances of others speaking of the similarity of C(++) to MQL and that if one knows the C+ that the transition to MQL is easier. But frankly I just do not have the time nor the energy (literally) to take on C and learn it thoroughly before making the transition to MQL.

There are two broad categories of ForEx investors/speculators: those that undertake it as a career, and those that do it as an adjunct to other factors in their life. I most definitely fall into the second category. I am only doing it hopefully as a means to many other significant ends. I am doing it in hopes that should the need arrive, I will at least have some financial security in my old age, which as things currently stand I most defiantly won’t otherwise. But my primary and strongest motivation for succeeding at the ForEx is that I have some very specific substantial projects in mind that require significant amounts of capital to get underway. If not for these, I would quite likely would not be doing this at all.

I thank you for your suggestions Meikel, I will check out the references that you passed along to me and take what I can and benefit from them and utilize what I can.

Live Long and Prosper Meikel

Reason: