Spread and minimum Stoploss

Hi All,

I am new with meta trader and I would like to ask if there is a way to change the currency pair spread parameter in the tester? the same question for the minimum stoploss parameter.

thanks

Assaf

A

Afraid not :(

The spread is the current live spread (if market is open) but defaults to a fixed low value if the market is closed

The minimum SL distance is set by your broker

Good Luck

-BB-

It is possible to alter these parameters for strategy tester runs.

(Sorry BB).

The values are held in the symbols.sel file which is contained in the Servers/<server you were last using> folder.

I think the content and structure of the file is undocumented, but I wrote a piece of software some time ago which allows you to change values in this file, and goes some way to telling you what's in it.

I just need to try to find it again.

To be fair to BB, most people don't bother with this as they have realised that, in order to use the strategy tester for backtesting, one must follow a tight and lengthy checklist in order to achieve consistent testing. Others have decided that this is not possible/trustworthy and have decided therefore that the strategy tester is really only of use for 'functional' testing of their EAs rather than backtesting.

CB

cloudbreaker:

To be fair to BB, most people don't bother with this as they have realised that, in order to use the strategy tester for backtesting, one must follow a tight and lengthy checklist in order to achieve consistent testing.

Seconded. The technology world already has various similes for futility - "herding cats", "dragging a dead whale across a beach" etc. You can add to that "trying to backtest a strategy in MT4 whose results are significantly affected by changes in spread".

cloudbreaker wrote >>

It is possible to alter these parameters for strategy tester runs.

(Sorry BB).

The values are held in the symbols.sel file which is contained in the Servers/<server you were last using> folder.

I think the content and structure of the file is undocumented, but I wrote a piece of software some time ago which allows you to change values in this file, and goes some way to telling you what's in it.

I just need to try to find it again.

To be fair to BB, most people don't bother with this as they have realised that, in order to use the strategy tester for backtesting, one must follow a tight and lengthy checklist in order to achieve consistent testing. Others have decided that this is not possible/trustworthy and have decided therefore that the strategy tester is really only of use for 'functional' testing of their EAs rather than backtesting.

CB

thank, I found the way to change the spread here: https://www.mql5.com/en/forum/113730

Assaf