I'm having issues backtesting GBP/USD

Hope someone can help explain this weird behaviour: Please see the attached image. I am writing an EA and placing a pending sell order for GBP/USD @7:30 January 12th 2010. I have set a SL of 30 pts above opening and a TP 50 Pts below. The order is triggered @8:02 and is stopped out the same minute. On the 15min Chart for the 8 o'clock bar this price is never reached. I have looked at the 8:02 minute data in the history center and this price id never reached either...can anyone fathom why this trade is stopping out???

I am using Alpari and metatrader 4

Thanks in Advance

Paul

mt4 charts show only Bid prices. but a stoploss of a sell is executed at Ask prices.

zzuegg:
mt4 charts show only Bid prices. but a stoploss of a sell is executed at Ask prices.

Surely though the bid and ask should not differ by 13pts --because thats the difference

pthawkes:

Hope someone can help explain this weird behaviour: Please see the attached image. I am writing an EA and placing a pending sell order for GBP/USD @7:30 January 12th 2010. I have set a SL of 30 pts above opening and a TP 50 Pts below. The order is triggered @8:02 and is stopped out the same minute. On the 15min Chart for the 8 o'clock bar this price is never reached. I have looked at the 8:02 minute data in the history center and this price id never reached either...can anyone fathom why this trade is stopping out???

I am using Alpari and metatrader 4

Thanks in Advance

Paul

Something to bear in mind is that the spread used by the Strategy Tester will be what it was the last time your platform was connected to the server. I noticed a similar problem to the one you experienced when trying to run backtests this weekend, as the spread had widened significantly at the point the MT4 server closed on Friday evening. The problem should go away when you connect to the MT4 server during the day.

The spread used is held in the symbols.sel file in the History folder. If you Google that file name, you'll find a few threads where people have written scripts to allow a substitution file to be created with a spread of your choice.

gregspinner:

Something to bear in mind is that the spread used by the Strategy Tester will be what it was the last time your platform was connected to the server. I noticed a similar problem to the one you experienced when trying to run backtests this weekend, as the spread had widened significantly at the point the MT4 server closed on Friday evening. The problem should go away when you connect to the MT4 server during the day.

The spread used is held in the symbols.sel file in the History folder. If you Google that file name, you'll find a few threads where people have written scripts to allow a substitution file to be created with a spread of your choice.

greg,

Thanks for pointing that out -it seems that this was definitely the problem.

Cheers

Paul

Reason: