Metatrader 5 and MQL5 for linux - is the time right?

Linux is becoming increasingly popular in large and fast trading systems. Serious business can not tolerate surprises from the trading platform. For all who trade a stable (Linux) platform is better than windows. It is well known that no trading platforms are available for Linux. Java charts and -trading is more restricted and EA:s are missing. MQL5 would be the one and only choice with Linux (and may be with Apple too). Linux community is highly active and skilled. I wouldn't be surprised if there were many capable individuals who could help, improve and strengthen MQL5 position on trading. Now when your development team is active - make a favor to your business and translate MQL5 for Linux/Ubuntu!

Timo what do you expect from mt under unix? i am experienced unix admin on main job. If you hope to be able to trade, there are many brokers they have api. if you hope to backtest strategies i can tell you mt4 cannot backtest(did not test mt5 yet). Everyone who believe mt4 backtests will fail sooner or later. For backtest reasons there is nice tool called genious trader on internet.I work many many years with unix but i must admit that unix gui capabilities are compared to windows very very limited. unix world sleeped the development on gui and graphic. unix has other strong points like networking, flexibility thats why 90% of internet is routed through unix. pitty that only 1 os is dominating the home-user and business world.

fx1.net:
Timo what do you expect from mt under unix? i am experienced unix admin on main job. If you hope to be able to trade, there are many brokers they have api. if you hope to backtest strategies i can tell you mt4 cannot backtest(did not test mt5 yet). Everyone who believe mt4 backtests will fail sooner or later. For backtest reasons there is nice tool called genious trader on internet.I work many many years with unix but i must admit that unix gui capabilities are compared to windows very very limited. unix world sleeped the development on gui and graphic. unix has other strong points like networking, flexibility thats why 90% of internet is routed through unix. pitty that only 1 os is dominating the home-user and business world.

Reliability and ease of using (and loading) MetaTrader without wine are the main goals in my mind. Backtesting is not seriously interesting, because test results are always different from the real life behavior and - the future will be different from the past anyhow.

MetaTrader has been a great tool to study trading and implement own ideas and algorithms easily. When a trading platform works well and has good brokers available I find definite reluctance to change those parts that are not the problem (windows Vista got me to look for an alternative). Linux capabilities as I see them - are adequate for a trading platform and the MetaTrader terminal on Ubuntu/Linux platform would bring convenient EA and indicator programming to Linux users. Stability and reliability of the platform combined with programmable trading strategies is something better than I can have find anywhere.

fx1.net:

I have been educating myself on brokers' api connections and they seem to be good. There is no problem - there are many solutions. Thanks fx1.net! Changing to a new broker and to a new environment causes some work I must accept. However, MetaTrader has been a handy application and this site has given useful information and examples how to start programming EAs and indicators. Thanks to MetaTrader and to this site too!

I was using MT4 in Ubunto and i was really happy that i can use it without VM.., after new updates to b.226 ther is alot of deficulties which i have to try it in other PC with Windows!
I wish they make Linux version for MetaTrader which is very much user friendly and stabel than Windows.

"For all who trade a stable (Linux) platform is better than windows."

:)

PS-I'm not a "Microsoft follower" My avatar isn't the picture of Bill gates :)

Reason: