Good indicator for choppy conditions

Hello,

Seems to me there are great indicators that can tell when you are in a trend, but what I fail to see is a real solid way to mathematiically describe a choppy price pattern. Does anybody have a solid method, or an indicator that is not just buy/sell but "wait". I can imagine something such as price alternation above and below a near zero sloping linear regression line. Does that sound reasonable, and has anyone done this? Thanks for any input.

Tim

timfarnum wrote >>

Hello,

Seems to me there are great indicators that can tell when you are in a trend, but what I fail to see is a real solid way to mathematiically describe a choppy price pattern. Does anybody have a solid method, or an indicator that is not just buy/sell but "wait". I can imagine something such as price alternation above and below a near zero sloping linear regression line. Does that sound reasonable, and has anyone done this? Thanks for any input.

Tim

I use Bolinger Bands to detect choppy ranging market. When they are very tight, it suggest this kind of market.

Hope this helps.

marynarz15 wrote >>

I use Bolinger Bands to detect choppy ranging market. When they are very tight, it suggest this kind of market.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, I'll take alook at it.

Reason: