I am using a practice account

I am still learning therefore using a practiceaccount. I have come across a problem. I would like to cancel the trade I was running it by a robot where when it got to what it thought was a fair price would sell then rebuy etc.. I wanted to stop program using sell or delete order the program MT4 accepted my requests but still kept on as a buy. I had stopped the robots tried again but no luck. Tried going off line for a few hours but once got back on was still there happily trading away. I tried to edit it by putting in a stop loss(this robot does all by self) but still happily trading away after accepted by system and gone past stop loss? I dont have robots running, how do I stop the trade..robot manual says trade would stop if went off line but when got back on as stated before...still trading.

tindog:
I am still learning therefore using a practiceaccount. I have come across a problem. I would like to cancel the trade I was running it by a robot where when it got to what it thought was a fair price would sell then rebuy etc.. I wanted to stop program using sell or delete order the program MT4 accepted my requests but still kept on as a buy. I had stopped the robots tried again but no luck. Tried going off line for a few hours but once got back on was still there happily trading away. I tried to edit it by putting in a stop loss(this robot does all by self) but still happily trading away after accepted by system and gone past stop loss? I dont have robots running, how do I stop the trade..robot manual says trade would stop if went off line but when got back on as stated before...still trading.

So just stop the trade manually. Double click on it in the Trade tab.

tindog wrote >>

Your last sentence says,"I dont have robots running, how do I stop the trade..robot manual says trade would stop if went off line but when got back on as stated before...still trading." Well, if it's "still trading" then your first part of your sentence "I don't have robots running" can't be true. Are you sure? There are several ways to disable it. At the top of your MT4 platform there's a button that says "Expert Advisors" click it and the green arrow will turn red. When it is red the EA is not tradiing. The most drastic way is to remove it from the chart you are trading it on. Right click on the smiley face go to expert advisor, click on remove.

After you have done this you should be able to manually close the trade. Go down to the trade listed at the bottom of the screen and double click on the trade, a pop up with the order will appear and you should be able to close it that way. The other way is to right click on the trade and click on "close order". I 've had to do it that way when the other way doesn't work. And I have run into that problem also. I'm trying to recall. I think it was with a robot also. One more way to close the order. On the right hand side under Navigator open up "scripts", there should be a script that is called "Close" at least I've got one that came with MT4. Drag and drop it on the chart it will "close first market order if it is first in the list". At least that is what the script says if you open it up with "Modify" (ie. the editor). I think it means it will close the first one on the list using a market order. I think it is missing a couple of parenthisis. Maybe, should read "close (first market order) if it is first in the list"

Note: before going off line if you don't want the robot to trade when you come back on you have to remove the EA from the chart first, or click the button at the top of MT4 platform, otherwise when you come back online it will automatically start trading again. It doesn't sound like that is what you did.

Alan

aj34997 wrote >>

Your last sentence says,"I dont have robots running, how do I stop the trade..robot manual says trade would stop if went off line but when got back on as stated before...still trading." Well, if it's "still trading" then your first part of your sentence "I don't have robots running" can't be true. Are you sure? There are several ways to disable it. At the top of your MT4 platform there's a button that says "Expert Advisors" click it and the green arrow will turn red. When it is red the EA is not tradiing. The most drastic way is to remove it from the chart you are trading it on. Right click on the smiley face go to expert advisor, click on remove.

After you have done this you should be able to manually close the trade. Go down to the trade listed at the bottom of the screen and double click on the trade, a pop up with the order will appear and you should be able to close it that way. The other way is to right click on the trade and click on "close order". I 've had to do it that way when the other way doesn't work. And I have run into that problem also. I'm trying to recall. I think it was with a robot also. One more way to close the order. On the right hand side under Navigator open up "scripts", there should be a script that is called "Close" at least I've got one that came with MT4. Drag and drop it on the chart it will "close first market order if it is first in the list". At least that is what the script says if you open it up with "Modify" (ie. the editor). I think it means it will close the first one on the list using a market order. I think it is missing a couple of parenthisis. Maybe, should read "close (first market order) if it is first in the list"

Note: before going off line if you don't want the robot to trade when you come back on you have to remove the EA from the chart first, or click the button at the top of MT4 platform, otherwise when you come back online it will automatically start trading again. It doesn't sound like that is what you did.

Alan

This helps me. If you would, see my topic Settings and tweaks for beginners. I have a couple of unanswered questions there. Thanks.

Reason: