GMT Offset

I am new to trading and MT4 so please forgive me if this is the wrong place to post this question or a stupid question.

I am having trouble understanding how to determine what your GMT offset is. Is this something you have to get from your broker (I'm only trading demo right now and so far they never answer my requests for this) or is this something you can figure on your own, IF you are given the information on how to do this. I am US Pacific time GMT -7. My broker is FXDD I think in NY. So what would the GMT offset be and how did you come about that offset?

Thanks,

Steve

Have a look here

https://www.mql5.com/en/articles/1502

for the usage of these functions

#import "kernel32.dll"
void GetLocalTime(int& TimeArray[]);
void GetSystemTime(int& TimeArray[]);
int  GetTimeZoneInformation(int& TZInfoArray[]);
#import

sundance2009 wrote >>

I am new to trading and MT4 so please forgive me if this is the wrong place to post this question or a stupid question.

I am having trouble understanding how to determine what your GMT offset is. Is this something you have to get from your broker (I'm only trading demo right now and so far they never answer my requests for this) or is this something you can figure on your own, IF you are given the information on how to do this. I am US Pacific time GMT -7. My broker is FXDD I think in NY. So what would the GMT offset be and how did you come about that offset?

Thanks,

Steve

I doesn't matter where you or your broker is located, what matters is what setting your broker is using. I'd say contact your broker to find out want setting they're using, that's what I did. But, the person I spoke to gave me the wrong answer. He gave me the broker location to the GMT not what setting to use for their trading platform.

Here's a better way. click on the following link to find the GMT. http://wwp.greenwichmeantime.com/ Now do a little math to find out the hourly difference betweem the GMT and your brokers time that is displayed in your trading platform under Market Watch (the top left hand side of your MetaTrader4 platform). That is the offset. If the market watch time is ahead of the GMT then your setting is a positive number. But don't use a plus sign. Just write as you normally would for a positive number. If your broker's time is behind the GMT put a negative sign in front of the number. I'm using ForexMeta, and FXDD is who they use for their market info. And ForexMeta's offset is 3. It should be the same for FXDD. But check as described above to make sure.

Alan

aj34997 wrote >>

I doesn't matter where you or your broker is located, what matters is what setting your broker is using. I'd say contact your broker to find out want setting they're using, that's what I did. But, the person I spoke to gave me the wrong answer. He gave me the broker location to the GMT not what setting to use for their trading platform.

Here's a better way. click on the following link to find the GMT. http://wwp.greenwichmeantime.com/ Now do a little math to find out the hourly difference betweem the GMT and your brokers time that is displayed in your trading platform under Market Watch (the top left hand side of your MetaTrader4 platform). That is the offset. If the market watch time is ahead of the GMT then your setting is a positive number. But don't use a plus sign. Just write as you normally would for a positive number. If your broker's time is behind the GMT put a negative sign in front of the number. I'm using ForexMeta, and FXDD is who they use for their market info. And ForexMeta's offset is 3. It should be the same for FXDD. But check as described above to make sure.

Alan

Thanks Alan,

I too am brand new to Forex and trading and your clear, concise answer was perfect!

I am now certain I have the correct setting.

Deborah

Reason: