Where to Save Files in MT5

Hi there !

Please excuse my ignorance as I am trying to migrate to MT5.

I downloaded Include, Indicator and Expert files from this page: https://www.mql5.com/en/code/1190.

The "Include" files I saved to this folder: C:\Program Files\MetaTrader 5 - Alpari UK\MQL5\Include

The "Indicator" file I saved to this folder: C:\Program Files\MetaTrader 5 - Alpari UK\MQL5\Indicators\Examples

The "Expert" file I saved to this folder: C:\Program Files\MetaTrader 5 - Alpari UK\MQL5\Experts\Advisors

Now when I start MT5 and click Custom Indicators, I don't see the indicator. When I click Experts Advisors and then Advisors, I don't see the expert there.

What I am doing wrong ? Are these the correct locations to save files ?

Thanks for your help. 

Exp_Candles_XSmoothed
Exp_Candles_XSmoothed
  • votes: 7
  • Nikolay Kositsin
  • www.mql5.com
The breakthrough trading system using the Candles_Smoothed indicator

Shunmas:

Hi there !

Please excuse my ignorance as I am trying to migrate to MT5.

I downloaded Include, Indicator and Expert files from this page: https://www.mql5.com/en/code/1190.

The "Include" files I saved to this folder: C:\Program Files\MetaTrader 5 - Alpari UK\MQL5\Include

The "Indicator" file I saved to this folder: C:\Program Files\MetaTrader 5 - Alpari UK\MQL5\Indicators\Examples

The "Expert" file I saved to this folder: C:\Program Files\MetaTrader 5 - Alpari UK\MQL5\Experts\Advisors

Now when I start MT5 and click Custom Indicators, I don't see the indicator. When I click Experts Advisors and then Advisors, I don't see the expert there.

What I am doing wrong ? Are these the correct locations to save files ?

Thanks for your help. 

See this topic.

angevoyageur:
See this topic.
Of course, I am using the system as admin. The point is why those files are not appearing in their proper places ? In MT4, its plain and simple, why MT5 is giving such headache. ;(

Shunmas:
Of course, I am using the system as admin. The point is why those files are not appearing in their proper places ? In MT4, its plain and simple, why MT5 is giving such headache. ;(
This isn't a problem of MT5. Have you really read the link I posted ? It's an issue with Vista, Win7, Win8 UAC, the same appears for MT4 or any other application trying to place personal data under windows system folders.

Thanks for your reply Angevoyageur. Much appreciated, so should I unistall MT5 abd re-install it on Program Files (x86) folder ?

Thanks 

Shunmas:

Thanks for your reply Angevoyageur. Much appreciated, so should I unistall MT5 abd re-install it on Program Files (x86) folder ?

Thanks 

You have to install OUTSIDE any windows system folders. For example C:\Forex\MT5...

Okay. Thanks for your kind reply. I will re-install it as suggested. Thanks

Hi !

Even if we install it non-windows folder, the real folder lies somewhere else, in which we have to install the files, and then compile both the indicator and expert advisor, and then restart the MT5. The folder's path is something like:

C:\Users\TOSHIBA\AppData\Roaming\MetaQuotes\Terminal\E23......................

Problem resolved.

Thanks 

Reason: