Does anyone know if there is a limit on number of inputs allowed in EA?

Hi, everyone, 

I'm a programmer and I normally consider I know a lot of MT4 and MT5 already, but encounter something new today.

I have a new project that potentially can have thousands of inputs, client insists to define parameters as inputs compared to other means. I don't think I know of a limit on number of inputs can be used in EA, but if there is can someone kindly update me about this?

Thanks.

Min Li:

Hi, everyone, 

I'm a programmer and I normally consider I know a lot of MT4 and MT5 already, but encounter something new today.

I have a new project that potentially can have thousands of inputs, client insists to define parameters as inputs compared to other means. I don't think I know of a limit on number of inputs can be used in EA, but if there is can someone kindly update me about this?

Thanks.

Test it - create dummy EA with thousands of dummy parameters.

I think it's 63.

William Roeder:
I think it's 63.

That's for an indicator when you use it with iCustom.

Otherwise there is no limit on the number of parameters, at least I never encountered it and I already worked with more than 2,000 parameters.

Alain Verleyen:

Otherwise there is no limit on the number of parameters, at least I never encountered it and I already worked with more than 2,000 parameters.

Thank you very much. 

This project will have almost 8000 inputs, I tried to persuade client to use different approach, so far no success. 

As for the indicators has 63 buffer limitation, I did made one indicator in the past that has 150 buffers. I'm not sure the limitation of the buffers either as with most project you don't have to worry about this kind of thing. 

Min Li: As for the indicators has 63 buffer limitation,
  1. Custom Indicators can contain up to 512 indicator buffers, and the buffer data also can be obtained by using the CopyBuffer() function, with the handle returned by function iCustom().
              Maximum number of indicator buffers? - Indices - Technical Indicators - MQL5 programming forum
  2. Not a 63 buffer limitation, 63 parameter limitation in iCustom.

William Roeder:
  1. Custom Indicators can contain up to 512 indicator buffers, and the buffer data also can be obtained by using the CopyBuffer() function, with the handle returned by function iCustom().
              Maximum number of indicator buffers? - Indices - Technical Indicators - MQL5 programming forum
  2. Not a 63 buffer limitation, 63 parameter limitation in iCustom.

Thanks for the clarification. 

Alain Verleyen:

Just encountered an issue with maximum inputs on MT5, the EA has just 1360 inputs, tester won't start because of it, I get an error - "too many inputs". It still works fine if not on tester

I think the limit is 1000, besides grouping the input variables into a string, any other possible workaround?

I must say its strange that MT5 has a limit and MT4 does not, seeing as MT5 is supposed to be better than MT4 in all aspects.

Chidera Anakpe:

I think the limit is 1000, besides grouping the input variables into a string, any other possible workaround?

I must say its strange that MT5 has a limit and MT4 does not, seeing as MT5 is supposed to be better than MT4 in all aspects.

maintain them in excel and read them in

Chidera Anakpe:

Just encountered an issue with maximum inputs on MT5, the EA has just 1360 inputs, tester won't start because of it, I get an error - "too many inputs". It still works fine if not on tester

Are you trying an optimization or just a normal backtest ?
Reason: