Determining Range

Hi guys

Has anyone created an automated method or has an idea about a way to do one that determines if a symbol is trading within a range and determining the range?

I am working on an indicator that does that, so I would like to hear if anyone has any input.

Thank you

Michalis Phylactou:

Hi guys

Has anyone created an automated method or has an idea about a way to do one that determines if a symbol is trading within a range and determining the range?

I am working on an indicator that does that, so I would like to hear if anyone has any input.

Thank you

Range of what? Spread ? Volume ? Price ? Time ? Timeless range ? Correlation ranges ?

Marco vd Heijden:
Range of what? Spread ? Volume ? Price ? Time ? Timeless range ? Correlation ranges ?

Price.

Say you set a timeframe and you see if there are 2 level within which the symbol seems to be trading within.

If someone has a logic for automatically determining these levels other than just manually drawing 2 lines at the highest and lowest values.

I'd use absolutestrengthmarket_v1 to determine if it is in range and donchian channel (or bollinger) for the levels

https://www.mql5.com/en/code/1519

Forum on trading, automated trading systems and testing trading strategies

Gold is Reaching at 1270

Sergey Golubev, 2013.07.01 21:04

How can we know: correction, or bullish etc (in case of using indicator for example)?

well ... let's take AbsoluteStrength indicator from MT5 CodeBase.

bullish (Bull market) :

bearish (Bear market) :

ranging (choppy market - means: buy and sell on the same time) :

flat (sideways market - means: no buy and no sell) :

correction :

correction in a bear market (Bear Market Rally) :

Reason: