Good example MT5 EA?

Hi :)

Very new at MT5 and after a few weeks of coding I am still not making great headway, although I am learning a lot. To help get to grips I wondered if anyone could suggest a good 'example' EA that can be used as a template? 

Currently I am looking for functions that check if currently in a trade and stop loss management but I am sure there are several things I haven't even thought of yet!

Thanks in advance :)

Rich 

Adding in, if there isn't one, should we build one?!?! 

RichyF1:

Hi :)

Very new at MT5 and after a few weeks of coding I am still not making great headway, although I am learning a lot. To help get to grips I wondered if anyone could suggest a good 'example' EA that can be used as a template? 

Currently I am looking for functions that check if currently in a trade and stop loss management but I am sure there are several things I haven't even thought of yet!

Thanks in advance :)

Rich 

Adding in, if there isn't one, should we build one?!?! 

There are good EAs out there, but many aren't :-( Not good results when testing or not even a stoploss nor trailing stop ! ( image it suddenly goes FAST other direction ! ouch ! )

But there are also soooo many types of systems with marginale or moving averages or MACD or ... or combinations... but even those EAs very often you can't use it, because they are compiled !!!

and you need to build in the MM ( money management ) in your EA, because if it goes good you can have bigger lots, more profits etc... but I think you could find an open source of it..

Ronnie:

There are good EAs out there, but many aren't :-( Not good results when testing or not even a stoploss nor trailing stop ! ( image it suddenly goes FAST other direction ! ouch ! )

But there are also soooo many types of systems with marginale or moving averages or MACD or ... or combinations... but even those EAs very often you can't use it, because they are compiled !!!

and you need to build in the MM ( money management ) in your EA, because if it goes good you can have bigger lots, more profits etc... but I think you could find an open source of it..

Thanks Ronnie

Sorry, I am not sure I am explaining myself properly.

All of us are sat spending hours writing for the most part the same or very similar functions to perform the same tasks, enter trades, manage lot sizes, ensure trades have entered, make sure we still have a connection, ensuring SL/TP's are in the correct place. The list goes on.

Whether your trading rules consist of a simple MACD cross, a combination scoring of 15 indicators or a machine learning robot zapping power from IBM's Watson, we still spend the majority of our time coding supporting logic. 

What I am wondering is, if we collaborated together on the supporting parts surrounding our individual trading ideas, we could build an extremely robust professional level EA with a suit of common tests against it, that can accept most traders rules or trading ideas.

An Open Source EA framework so to speak.

Happy to get one started if people think it is a good idea and would be interested to get involved!?!?! 

Maybe it already exists ?

Universal Expert Advisor: Trading Modes of Strategies (Part 1)
Universal Expert Advisor: Trading Modes of Strategies (Part 1)
  • Vasiliy Sokolov
  • www.mql5.com
Any Expert Advisor developer, regardless of programming skills, is daily confronted with the same trading tasks and algorithmic problems, which should be solved to organize a reliable trading process. The article describes the possibilities of the CStrategy trading engine that can undertake the solution of these tasks and provide a user with convenient mechanism for describing a custom trading idea.

Thanks Alain

I had a look and still found it extremely complex for my level of knowledge which I wonder if many people will have, coming from MT4 or new.

Am battling on with my own EA and making some good progress. Appreciate your suggestion, may look again as I get better at coding.

:) 

Reason: