Accessing virtual hosted MT4 files

Good day all. My questions regard virtual hosted MT4 and what I have access to. 1. Can I write to a file using an EA? 2. Can I retrieve that file? 3. If not, can I write to a journal and how do I retrieve that journal?

Documentation on MQL5: File Functions
Documentation on MQL5: File Functions
  • www.mql5.com
File Functions - Reference on algorithmic/automated trading language for MetaTrader 5

Thanks for the reply. I have a fair understanding of writing to and reading from files. What I want to do is write information to a file using an ea in MT4. The MT4 that I am referring to is hosted in mql5 virtual hosting. I then want to download that file to my PC. Can I do something like that?

I don't believe you can, but happy to be corrected ;-)

1. Can I write to a file using an EA?

It should work, as I don't see anywhere it's not doable on Virtual Host. But I didn't test.

2. Can I retrieve that file?

By FTP ? Should also be tested.

3. If not, can I write to a journal and how do I retrieve that journal?

Yes you can write on Experts log, with Print() or printf() ... statements. The logs can the be synchronized.

What directory/file would it be written to and how could you retrieve over FTP?

yes you can and it's not that difficult there are several ways to do it, it all depends on what you are trying to do.

I have done similar things you can just share the folder either over FTP or for example HFS

I usually use a vps server os (2012R2) that has all tools and services build in though but that depends on your choice of vps and skills.

Marco vd Heijden:

yes you can and it's not that difficult there are several ways to do it, it all depends on what you are trying to do.

I have done similar things you can just share the folder either over FTP or for example HFS

I usually use a vps server os (2012R2) that has all tools and services build in though but that depends on your choice of vps and skills.

I have done it on another VPS. I was specifically asking about the VPS offered by mql5.com

Marco vd Heijden:
Simphiwe Ncube:
The question is about Metaquotes virtual hosting service, not about traditional VPS.

Stuart Browne:
What directory/file would it be written to and how could you retrieve over FTP?

Write the file as usual and send it via SendFTP(). Obviously you then need access to an FTP server.

Im not sure if it supports remote desktop connections.

Maybe you can use

SendFTP()
Otherwise i think your possibilities are limited.
Reason: