Backtesting Strategies in Alpari MT5

I've been encountering problems with backtesting in the metatrader 5 platform specifically entering Stoploss and take profit levels similar to the problems raised by some members before:  https://www.mql5.com/en/forum/7012

I'm currently using Alpari's MT5 platform and couldn't backtest properly, some say that it's because the brokers don't allow it and some say because ECN brokers don't accept SL and TP.

I'm not sure about the validity of the claims above, can someone confirm these?

Also, if it is true that ECNs or certain brokers do not allow orders to be placed together with SL and TP levels, what other demo account/platform besides Alpari do you guys use to backtest your strategies?

Appreciate your kind reply. Thanks in advance! 

Basic EA, stop loss/ Take Profit not triggered
Basic EA, stop loss/ Take Profit not triggered
  • www.mql5.com
Basic EA, stop loss/ Take Profit not triggered.

polymath:

I've been encountering problems with backtesting in the metatrader 5 platform specifically entering Stoploss and take profit levels similar to the problems raised by some members before:  https://www.mql5.com/en/forum/7012

I'm currently using Alpari's MT5 platform and couldn't backtest properly, some say that it's because the brokers don't allow it and some say because ECN brokers don't accept SL and TP.

I'm not sure about the validity of the claims above, can someone confirm these?

Also, if it is true that ECNs or certain brokers do not allow orders to be placed together with SL and TP levels, what other demo account/platform besides Alpari do you guys use to backtest your strategies?

Appreciate your kind reply. Thanks in advance! 

In backtesting with Alpari UK Demo, I found that M1 data only went back as far as 04.05.2012.

I've switched backtesting from 01.01.2012+ to 01.06.2012+ and results are once again meaningful ... 

PS: No probs setting STP or TKP with trades, which issue I have seen elsewhere on this forum. Are you allowing a deviation? 

Todge:

In backtesting with Alpari UK Demo, I found that M1 data only went back as far as 04.05.2012.

I've switched backtesting from 01.01.2012+ to 01.06.2012+ and results are once again meaningful ... 

PS: No probs setting STP or TKP with trades, which issue I have seen elsewhere on this forum. Are you allowing a deviation? 

Hi Todge,

You mean that all your backtests before 04.05.2012 are all inaccurate because there's no tick and M1 data?

I've tried the suggestion of others to modify the existing position's Stoploss and take profit and it worked. Sorry, I do not know what you mean by deviation.  Can you explain that? Thanks!

Reason: