Download MetaTrader 5

Code Base software license

To add comments, please log in or register
Trade with MetaTarder 5. Download it right now!
Rudinei Felipetto
Rudinei Felipetto 2015.11.21 01:50 
What kind of software license is used for the open source publications in the code base?
Mohammad Soubra
Mohammad Soubra 2015.11.21 09:22  
Good question
Stuart Browne
Stuart Browne 2015.11.21 10:53  
Rudinei Felipetto:
What kind of software license is used for the open source publications in the code base?
It's FOSS (Free & Open Source Software), though I don't believe it explicitly states that anywhere . You are free to use it, change it, incorporate it into your own programs etc. Though it's always nice to let the original author know how much you appreciate his/her efforts and what you plan on doing with their code :)
Rudinei Felipetto
Rudinei Felipetto 2015.11.21 12:35  
Stuart Browne:
It's FOSS (Free & Open Source Software), though I don't believe it explicitly states that anywhere . You are free to use it, change it, incorporate it into your own programs etc. Though it's always nice to let the original author know how much you appreciate his/her efforts and what you plan on doing with their code :)

Hmm...! Thanks Stuart!

And if you use the published code changing the comments off parameters and colors of lines and sell a product at MQL Market? Ignoring the author and the rules of MQL.....

Stuart Browne
Stuart Browne 2015.11.21 13:13  
Rudinei Felipetto:

Hmm...! Thanks Stuart!

And if you use the published code changing the comments off parameters and colors of lines and sell a product at MQL Market? Ignoring the author and the rules of MQL.....

As far as I'm aware, you're free to do with it what you wish.

When I publish code in the code base, I post it there for others to take it, use it, change it, re-publish it, whatever. It's released as plain text MQL4/MQL5 code so once it's up there, there's no stopping anybody from doing whatever they want with it. And as I said above, I've never found any specific "rules" from MetaQuotes governing its use so it can only be considered a free-for-all :)

Of course, if someone puts a © comment in the code, I guess it could be argued that they still maintain copyright over the code, but then why would you put it up in plain text in the first place?

I personally put this in the code so it's clear what you can do with it

#property copyright    "Open Source 2015, by Stuart Browne (Filter)"
#property link         "https://www.mql5.com/en/users/filter"
#property version      "1.02"
#property description  "Provided free of charge and free of copyright to the MQL community by Filter\n"
Irwan Adnan
Irwan Adnan 2015.11.21 14:20  
Agree with Stuart. If we dont want the code to be misused, then dont publish it. It is contradictory to a published article (but not the code in it). 
Rudinei Felipetto
Rudinei Felipetto 2015.11.21 14:47  

Hehehe ... for sure!

I was curious to know what is the license used .. it's good to know the details! 

Amit Suryakant Jamuda
Amit Suryakant Jamuda 2015.11.22 03:55  
Rudinei Felipetto:

Hehehe ... for sure!

I was curious to know what is the license used .. it's good to know the details! 

I agree
Khurram Mustafa
Khurram Mustafa 2015.11.22 12:19  
Stuart Browne:

As far as I'm aware, you're free to do with it what you wish.

When I publish code in the code base, I post it there for others to take it, use it, change it, re-publish it, whatever. It's released as plain text MQL4/MQL5 code so once it's up there, there's no stopping anybody from doing whatever they want with it. And as I said above, I've never found any specific "rules" from MetaQuotes governing its use so it can only be considered a free-for-all :)

Of course, if someone puts a © comment in the code, I guess it could be argued that they still maintain copyright over the code, but then why would you put it up in plain text in the first place?

I personally put this in the code so it's clear what you can do with it

agree, good explaination
To add comments, please log in or register