SymbolSelect (symbol, true) always returns false; MT4

Hi alltogether,

I have a problem with the function Symbolselect (Symbol(),true): it always returns wrong!

I'm using a specially installed Metatrader 4 without any broker connection because I solely want to backtest my strategies here with well defined history data. I do not want to pollute these data with broker inputs.

Version is  4.00, Build 890.

Question: Am I wrong here? A online broker connection is it mandatory?

I'm grateful for any help.

Thank you

Matthias Hammelsbeck 

Dr Matthias Hammelsbeck:

Hi alltogether,

I have a problem with the function Symbolselect (Symbol(),true): it always returns wrong!

I'm using a specially installed Metatrader 4 without any broker connection because I solely want to backtest my strategies here with well defined history data. I do not want to pollute these data with broker inputs.

Thank you

Matthias Hammelsbeck 

MQL4 Reference / Market Info / SymbolSelect

be explained :
If the value is false, a symbol should be removed from MarketWatch, otherwise a symbol should be selected in this window. A symbol can't be removed if the symbol chart is open, or there are open orders for this symbol.

Dr Matthias Hammelsbeck:

Hi alltogether,

Thank you

Matthias Hammelsbeck 

You need at least to connect once to initialize your trading environment. Disconnect after and do you tests.

Build 890 is very old, not sure you will be able to connect to a broker.

Reason: