metatrader4 build 225 backtesting

hi, i'm new to forex trading and to this forum. right now i'm studying technical analysis while forward testing fapturbo on 15 minute charts on metatrader4 build 225. for the last two weeks i have wanted to backtest & optimize the forex robot on the strategy center - i follow the instructions carefully, set the correct parameters, press start, watch the progress bar move, hear a rubber duckie squeaking - but when i go check the results, graph, report tabs ... i see absolutely nothing, as if nothing had happened! i have tried downloading again then reinstalling metatrader, but still get nothing. i'm very sure i have done everything right; i've been doing this many times a day everyday for the last two weeks! i'm getting really frustrated and confused

I've had this happen with my homebrew EA. It worked just fine realtime, but in backtesting sometimes it would not do anything. Finally I added a statement to print the spread among other things. Showing up in the journal the spread turned out to be the culprit.
For the longest time I've had the suspicion that there was interference between realtime and the tester. Consecutive runs of the tester would not yield the same results. Today, while the market is closed I got the proof. The Ask and Bid values the tester sees are the realtime values. They are not derived from the historical data. Today my EA keeps complaining about the eurusd spread being 3.4 pips consistently. As you can verify until tomorrow night the bid/ask for eurusd are frozen at 1.45803/1.45837.

How's that for simulation fidelity?!?!

Try opening up the maximum spread to get it going. Take the backtest results with a grain of salt!

Please ask you questions about MQL4 on www.mql4.com. Our developers and other members of community will help you.
Reason: