How Do I protect my EA

Hi everyone,

i am new to this forum, i have been using MetaEditor for writing my EAs for some time now. i would like some help on how to make EAs source code protected.

what i mean by this is i have come across some EAs that you are unable to see the code. i wpuld like to know how that is done, i think it has to be saved as an .ex4 but not sure how.

please help

BrewMaster :

Hi everyone,

i am new to this forum, i have been using MetaEditor for writing my EAs for some time now. i would like some help on how to make EAs source code protected.

what i mean by this is i have come across some EAs that you are unable to see the code. i wpuld like to know how that is done, i think it has to be saved as an .ex4 but not sure how.

please help

Since MQL4 is a language which must have the source code 'compiled' into a runtime executable (rather than the source code being 'interpreted' by the computer at runtime), you will always have to compile the source (mq4) file into the executable (ex4) file.

Options then are:

1. Keep both files to yourself and either trade for yourself on your own copy of the MetaTrader platform or sell the signals that you generate.

2. Keep the MQ4 file to yourself. Sell the EX4 file to your investors. If you decide not to sell on an open-ended basis, you can build licence-key or expiry-date functionality into your code. There are some folks offering reverse-compile services to turn a .EX4 file back into the source .MQ4, but I am not sure how successful this is, or how usable the resultant source code is. You may therefore also wish to build some obfuscation into your code.

3. Others have talked about putting the sensitive part of your logic into an external module, however, I would only add this complexity if it delivers a genuine technology  advantage in terms of the ability to obfuscate/protect.

Hope this helps.

cloudbreaker :
BrewMaster :

Hi everyone,

please help

Since MQL4 is a language which must have the source code 'compiled' into a runtime executable (rather than the source code being 'interpreted' by the computer at runtime), you will always have to compile the source (mq4) file into the executable (ex4) file.

Options then are:

1. Keep both files to yourself and either trade for yourself on your own copy of the MetaTrader platform or sell the signals that you generate.

2. Keep the MQ4 file to yourself. Sell the EX4 file to your investors. If you decide not to sell on an open-ended basis, you can build licence-key or expiry-date functionality into your code. There are some folks offering reverse-compile services to turn a .EX4 file back into the source .MQ4, but I am not sure how successful this is, or how usable the resultant source code is. You may therefore also wish to build some obfuscation into your code.

3. Others have talked about putting the sensitive part of your logic into an external module, however, I would only add this complexity if it delivers a genuine technology advantage in terms of the ability to obfuscate/protect.

Hope this helps.

Thank you for your reply,

i kind of like option 1, how and where dose one sell signals that one generates?

am not sure i understand how one can turn a MQ4 file into an EX4 file, do you just save as .EX4 please explain more

thank you

BrewMaster :
cloudbreaker :
BrewMaster :

Hi everyone,

please help

Options then are:

3. Others have talked about putting the sensitive part of your logic into an external module, however, I would only add this complexity if it delivers a genuine technology advantage in terms of the ability to obfuscate/protect.

Hope this helps.

i kind of like option 1, how and where dose one sell signals that one generates?

am not sure i understand how one can turn a MQ4 file into an EX4 file, do you just save as .EX4 please explain more

thank you

Regarding selling trading signals, you'd either form an arrangement with a hedge fund, consortium of private individuals etc. or else set up a web site with a subscription service and a nice graphic track record of your results.

Regarding compilation, here's the process.

1. Open your .MQ4 file in MetaEditor.

2. Make your changes to the source code to make the EA do what you want it to do.

3. Hit the compile button which will either a) generate errors or b)create your EX4 file.

4. Case a) scratch head, bother folks on the MQL4 forum, fix errors, recompile.

Case b) launch the Strategy Tester and test your new EA.

5. It will either a) do what you want or b) piss you right off.

6. Case a) Go to the pub and bother your mates about it.

Case b) Go to step 1.

cloudbreaker :
BrewMaster :
cloudbreaker :
BrewMaster :

Hi everyone,

please help

Options then are:

Hope this helps.

thank you

Regarding selling trading signals, you'd either form an arrangement with a hedge fund, consortium of private individuals etc. or else set up a web site with a subscription service and a nice graphic track record of your results.

2. Make your changes to the source code to make the EA do what you want it to do.

3. Hit the compile button which will either a) generate errors or b)create your EX4 file.

Case b) Go to step 1.

thanks once again for your timely reply.

i get it now thanks a million. one more thing (i know i am pushing it) is there a way to charge a commission on trades that are profitable from my EA.

i.e

if trade is win i get paid say 1 pip

thanks once again

Files:

BrewMaster :
cloudbreaker :
BrewMaster :
cloudbreaker :
BrewMaster :

Hi everyone,

please help

Options then are:

Hope this helps.

thank you

Case b) Go to step 1.

thanks once again for your timely reply.

i get it now thanks a million. one more thing (i know i am pushing it) is there a way to charge a commission on trades that are profitable from my EA.

i.e

if trade is win i get paid say 1 pip

thanks once again

If merely selling your signals online to strangers, that wouldn't be an option.

If you have a contract with a hedge fund, or private consortium, then there's nothing to stop you charging a performance % as well as a management fee.

Just make sure that whatever you do, that you don't break any regulations of the financial authority where you trade.

BrewMaster :

Hi everyone,

please help

Hi BrewMaster,

I found the only one software to protect the EA is at http://www.forexcio.com  .. I have used their service to protect my EA to start selling it without the worry to be decompiled, I only protect one file I hope someone has the ForexCio Armour and can offer us a free protection

good luck

Reason: