Unable to choose stop loss sizes . .

Hi, Ive just setup a demo MT4 account and am having trouble with stop losses.

The demo account has $10k in it and I am trying to limit my max loss for an individual trade to $200. I think

that if I trade 2 lots of USD/CHF then a 10 pip stop loss would limit my losses to $200, eg: 1.14650 - 1.14750

When I try to place stop or limit orders after placing the initial trade, MT4 usualy says I cannot place stop/limit

orders any closer than 80 pips from the price i placed the trade at, but it allows me to choose any stop loss level

I like if it is placed at the same time as the inital trade. I find it hard to place them at the same time

as placing the trade as by the time I have typed them in the price has moved, requiring me to adjust them.

This would not be a problem if I could edit the stop/limit orders after a trade has been placed but I cannot.

If I place a stop order at the same time as placing the trade and then want to move it, MT4 again says they cannot be

adjusted if they are not going to be moved more than 80 pips away from the price I placed the trade at.

Does anyone know why I am having this issues? And is there A way to set a default so that my stop/limit orders are

always placed at a certain number of pips away from the price where I entered the trade?

If default stop losses are not possible, can you programme an EA to help with this somehow? I tried to find an answer to these problems with the search function but wasnt able to find anything

Thanks, Ryan

Ryan,

Does anyone know why I am having this issues?

The 80-pip distance is likely a setting by the brokerage.  You should contact the broker to confirm this.  Additionally, you can try to trade on a different symbol to see if you're getting the same 80-pip setting.  You're trying USDCHF.  Try GBPCHF as it is probably different.

And is there A way to set a default so that my stop/limit orders are

always placed at a certain number of pips away from the price where I entered the trade?

I don't think there is any way to do this.  You can set a default volume, but not stop levels when you look at Tools > Options > Trade.

Mike