best CPU type for intensive EA testing?

Hi,

did you know which CPU is better to run back testing in MT5?

Intel or AMD? does the size of the level 1 cache impact the performance? etc...

Is there any comparison / benchmark available?

or what type of standard benchmark should we check which is the most relevant for MT5? (PCMark, content creation, 3d games, video conversion etc...)

I want to setup a dedicated "server". 

thanks. 

I have the same question,

and in particular if anyone have seen sensible differences between i5/i7 family and the Xeon when they are running many parallel MT5.

thank you

willgart:

Hi,

The fastest one you can get . . . running under the Strategy Tester is all about CPU performance, if you want to do this on a low budget and sacrifice performance then that is a different matter.  If you want performance then go Intel.

Yes, get the one with most core not thread. thread are only virtual cores.

doshur:
Yes, get the one with most core not thread. thread are only virtual cores.
The Intel ones with the most threads (due to hyperthreading) will also have the most cores.

RaptorUK:
The Intel ones with the most threads (due to hyperthreading) will also have the most cores.

no use on hyperthreading. they are virtual. the only useful here is the core.

i remember reading something like core will be running and switching the thread to process so looks like more core but in fact not much use

doshur:

no use on hyperthreading. they are virtual. the only useful here is the core.

i remember reading something like core will be running and switching the thread to process so looks like more core but in fact not much use

Have you tested with and without hyperthreading enabled ?  I have tested with MT4 and found that hyperthreading gave better performance,  I didn't expect it to.

willgart:

Hi,

Intel or AMD? does the size of the level 1 cache impact the performance? etc...

Is there any comparison / benchmark available?

or what type of standard benchmark should we check which is the most relevant for MT5? (PCMark, content creation, 3d games, video conversion etc...)

I want to setup a dedicated "server". 

thanks. 

did u find answer?

Bir Varzxorani:
did u find answer?
High amount of threads works wonder. Amd now surpasses Intel on that you're of work load. If money is no issue, a threadripper will give you insane backtesting. The 3950x was also a monster, though the 3900x is a bit more reasonably priced. No doubt the new ryzen 5000 cpu will chew through backtesting as well.
But keep in mind that those will really only be useful for the backtesting stage. In live testing, I have 52 EAs running. My 3700x barely sees peaks of 50% utilisation on one or 2 cores at the time for a split second. 
Reason: