What Actually Makes a Trading Platform Useful?

 

What is the single most important feature of a trading platform?

Is it low fees?

Better market analysis?

Ease of use?

More investment opportunities?

Or simply having everything in one place?

There probably isn't one answer for every trader.

But with technology increasingly influencing how investors analyse markets, the trading platform itself is becoming part of the investment process—not simply the place where an order gets placed.

If you could add ONE feature to your current trading platform, what would it be?

 
TradingWizz:

What is the single most important feature of a trading platform?

Is it low fees?

Better market analysis?

Ease of use?

More investment opportunities?

Or simply having everything in one place?

There probably isn't one answer for every trader.

But with technology increasingly influencing how investors analyse markets, the trading platform itself is becoming part of the investment process—not simply the place where an order gets placed.

If you could add ONE feature to your current trading platform, what would it be?

I don't understand your reasoning, neither what is your real purpose.
 
TradingWizz:
If you could add ONE feature to your current trading platform, what would it be?
Native support for all major centralized exchanges for non-professional traders.
 
Ryan L Johnson #:
Native support for all major centralized exchanges for non-professional traders.

What prevents someone to already do it with MT5 ? You just need a broker.

Maybe it's on the "native" support that you mean something different ?

 
Alain Verleyen #:
I don't understand your reasoning, neither what is your real purpose.

It was some years ago on Chinese or Russian forum ... and the users opened the threads about the following: 
"how to select the trading platform", and "which trading platform to use" and so on.
And they were talking about MT5 only ...

So, after all - I understood that they were about the following: trading platform = broker (MT5 was downloaded from one broker vs MT5 which was downloaded from the other broker. And finally - it was going to comparison of two (or several) brokers anyway).

-------------------

I think - this thread is about the same: "trading platform" = "MT5 broker"

-------------------

If I am wrong so sorry but those threads (about MT5 trading platforms) were very popular ones few years ago.

 
Alain Verleyen #:
Maybe it's on the "native" support that you mean something different ?

Yerp, you guessed it. In the U.S., central exchange broker-dealers have to create their own gateways to connect MT5 to the exchange. There are only two U.S. futures brokers who have done so, and there are zero U.S. stock broker-dealers who have done so.

I specifically said, "non-professional traders" because MT5 For Hedge Funds natively connects to all major centralized exchanges... for 4000 USD per month.

As a potential caveat, a non-professional trader could code an API that connects MT5 to a broker-dealer/exchange─especially with the advent of the MT5 AI Assistant.

Why MT5 natively supporting one exchange can't be offered to a non-professional trader in the U.S., I have no idea.

 
Ryan L Johnson #:

Yerp, you guessed it. In the U.S., central exchange broker-dealers have to create their own gateways to connect MT5 to the exchange. There are only two U.S. futures brokers who have done so, and there are zero U.S. stock broker-dealers who have done so.

I specifically said, "non-professional traders" because MT5 For Hedge Funds natively connects to all major centralized exchanges... for 4000 USD per month.

As a potential caveat, a non-professional trader could code an API that connects MT5 to a broker-dealer/exchange─especially with the advent of the MT5 AI Assistant.

Why MT5 natively supporting one exchange can't be offered to a non-professional trader in the U.S., I have no idea.

That's not something I know well, so I have no idea either, most probably a matter of money as always. Though I would be curious to learn more (technically).

 
Alain Verleyen #:

That's not something I know well, so I have no idea either, most probably a matter of money as always. Though I would be curious to learn more (technically).

Another moderator in another thread said something similar... "money." As MT5 for non-professional traders is mainly geared toward CFD's and FX, no one seems to know.

As a point of reference by way of example, the Chicago Mercantile Exchange (CME) recently added Micro 1OZ gold futures to its subsidiary COMEX exchange. CQG, a U.S. futures data provider, offers Top of Book (Level 1) COMEX data for 5 USD per month. Again, these are non-professional data fees. The combined exchange and broker-dealer commission (assuming no heavy contract volume discount) is about 0.76 USD per side (in + out). Therefore, I doubt that money is the actual reason.

After pondering the issue a bit more, I just recalled that Metaquotes maintains partnerships with selected broker-dealers for use with MT5 For Hedge Funds─wherein MT5 has its own native gateways. For non-professional traders in the U.S., that is what's legally known as an introducing broker-dealer relationship. Therefore, Metaquotes would have to register as an Introducing Broker with the National Futures Association (NFA), and be subjected to U.S. financial blacklists. I have personally done enough business with U.S. financial institutions to know that this is a no-go─because Metaquotes is headquartered in Cyprus.

In my attempt to provide you with more information, it seems that I've answered my own question. Funny how that happens sometimes.