MACD Irregularity

Hello,

The default MACD installed with Metatrader seems to function very differently from MACDs with other charting software. I'm using a 5,34,5 MACD as part of my trading system and found that with MetaTrader the system yielded far fewer trade signals than usual. I then compared my template with exactly the same setup in FXAccuCharts and after checking several times feel sure my setup is correct and the MACD is very different. If I may say so the MateTrader MACD seems far less accurate.

MetaTrader's MACD is very unusual, where please could I find an MACD indicator that functions the same as other charting software?

Many thanks.

Different price feed can yield different indicator results.

Thanks for the response phy. That's one possibility, so I consulted with a trading friend who's been trading for the past 10 years, the price looks exactly the same but the MACD remains off.

He also mentioned that the MACD Histogram isn't actually being displayed, just the MACD is displayed as a Histogram. I need to display the MACD Histogam or DIff or Spread, not sure what they call it in Metatrader.

Thanks for your help.

Maybe if you post a picture we can understand better. The good, and the bad.

"The MACD is calculated by subtracting the value of a 26-day exponential moving average from a 12-day exponential moving average. A 9-day dotted exponential moving average of the MACD (the "signal" line) is then plotted on top of the MACD."

The default MACD in MT4 displays the difference of the 12 and 26 as a histogram. The values would be the same if displayed as a line instead.

The line is the 9 period sma of the MACD.
Reason: