Would the spread of the price be different with different brokers?

Metaquotes demo ticks show less spread than my brokers ticks. Are the ticks from metaquotes showing an ideal spread and my broker the real life spread? Or is my broker's spread just not as good? Are there different spreads for different brokers?

Tick data from metatrader is coming from unknown sources and is too good to rely on when backtesting in lower time frames or testing strategies with too close SL/TP or trailing.
And yes! Spread is different from broker to broker. 

1. Demo often simulate market conditions but may not fully reflect real-world. Metaquotes demo ticks may not accurately reflect real-time spreads (unless you use "Every tick based on real-ticks" mode in MT5). In more details https://www.mql5.com/en/book/automation/tester/tester_ticks

2. Spreads can vary based on market conditions. During times of high volatility or low liquidity, spreads tend to widen. Recent years around midnight time spreads are crazy ("roll-over" spreads).

3. Different brokers may offer different spreads based on their liquidity providers, trading infrastructure and pricing models. 

4. The quality of execution also impacts the spreads and the price you see.

Also to mention FX operates globally and is decentralized, meaning there isn't a single exchange where all trades occur. Consequently, unlike equities, there is no 1 price, let alone 1 spread.

MQL5 Book: Trading automation / Testing and optimization of Expert Advisors / Generating ticks in tester
MQL5 Book: Trading automation / Testing and optimization of Expert Advisors / Generating ticks in tester
  • www.mql5.com
The presence of the OnTick handler in the Expert Advisor is not mandatory for it to be tested in the tester. The Expert Advisor can use one or more...
Reason: