Optimizing an automatic "strategy finder"

I want to create a "robot" that would automatically find strategies, based on the indicators requested and some basic operands (>, <, ==, etc)

the key is that I want to backtest using only OHLC data, NOT as an expert advisor.

the way I test indicators now, is that I make a "backtest" but within an indicator, using only OHLC

if I want to open a buy order whent he price breaks the high of the previous bar, all I have to do is to verify that :

if (high0 >= high1 && low0 <= high1) { buy = true;  openPrice = high1; }

when this is confirmed I know I could be able to open a Buy order at the high of the previous bar

So what I'm looking for is a way to optimize an algorithm, but not being an expert advisor. What I would need is a way to set my own targets, like the profit and DD

is it possible with MT5? I saw some Advanced Optimization or some Mathematical Optimizations as well, but I don't know which one would be the best

thanks a lot

Jeff

Strategy Testing - Algorithmic Trading, Trading Robots - MetaTrader 5 Help
  • www.metatrader5.com
The Strategy Tester allows you to test and optimize trading strategies ( Expert Advisors ) before using them for live trading. During testing, an...

Jean Francois Le Bas:

I want to create a "robot" that would automatically find strategies, based on the indicators requested and some basic operands (>, <, ==, etc)

the key is that I want to backtest using only OHLC data, NOT as an expert advisor.

what do you mean by create a "robot" and "Not as an expert advisor" those thing is the same.

Jean Francois Le Bas:
So what I'm looking for is a way to optimize an algorithm, but not being an expert advisor. What I would need is a way to set my own targets, like the profit and DD

is it possible with MT5?

and how you can optimize an algorithm if it's not an expert advisor? if you create an expert advisor or robot you can set your TP and optimize it and you can check your profit and drawdown result in optimization tab.

Luandre Ezra #:

what do you mean by create a "robot" and "Not as an expert advisor" those thing is the same.

and how you can optimize an algorithm if it's not an expert advisor? if you create an expert advisor or robot you can set your TP and optimize it and you can check your profit and drawdown result in optimization tab.

I create a "backtest" within an indicator. I compute the DD, the number of trades and the profits. It's very quick to do a backtest this way : you just grab an asset and drop it on a chart, and then it computes the metric instantaneously and show it on the chart or in the logs. Much easier to do backtest that way and to optimize manually than within a robot, and you can open trades at a price other than the open price

Reason: