Strategy Tester cannot find expert advisor in Experts folder

With the most recent update, it seems Metatrader 5 is having issues with the strategy tester. I attempted to update MT5, but I already have the latest software it seems. For your reference, I am using Version 5.00 Build 4158 26 Jan 2024. This is the exact message I am getting on the Journal tab of the Strategy Tester:

2024.01.29 07:38:57.141 Tester Experts\Get in the Zone 2.23 - Trend Follow, Many Positions, Restrictive SL on Entry Out Deal.ex5 not found

The expert ".ex5" file is in the folder, but the Strategy Tester cannot find it for some reason. Please advise on what to do.

Stephen Fabrico: With the most recent update, it seems Metatrader 5 is having issues with the strategy tester. I attempted to update MT5, but I already have the latest software it seems. For your reference, I am using Version 5.00 Build 4158 26 Jan 2024. This is the exact message I am getting on the Journal tab of the Strategy Tester: 2024.01.29 07:38:57.141 Tester Experts\Get in the Zone 2.23 - Trend Follow, Many Positions, Restrictive SL on Entry Out Deal.ex5 not found. The expert ".ex5" file is in the folder, but the Strategy Tester cannot find it for some reason. Please advise on what to do.
  • Build 4158 is a "beta" build and could have bugs. The officially released update was 4153.
  • It can be that the the full path to the file is too long (as there is a limit of 260 characters, in the unaltered Windows defaults). So try making the name shorter.
  • It can also be because the file name includes "." as I have read recently of another user complaining about the recent builds having that problem. As a test, try renaming the file so as not to include any non-alphanumeric characters, like the "." or "," or "-". Should it work, then add each one progressively to identify the cause.

Your topic has been moved to the section: Expert Advisors and Automated Trading
Please consider which section is most appropriate — https://www.mql5.com/en/forum/172166/page6#comment_49114893

Fernando Carreiro #:
  • Build 4158 is a "beta" build and could have bugs. The officially released update was 4153.
  • It can be that the the full path to the file is too long (as there is a limit of 260 characters, in the unaltered Windows defaults). So try making the name shorter.
  • It can also be because the file name includes "." as I have read recently of another user complaining about the recent builds having that problem. As a test, try renaming the file so as not to include any non-alphanumeric characters, like the "." or "," or "-". Should it work, then add each one progressively to identify the cause.

Thank you! I renamed the expert without using commas and now the strategy tester is working as expected. It appears you can use some non-alpha-numerical characters, just not a comma.

Reason: