I bought an EA and want to add trailing stop functionality

Hi all,

I grabbed an EA off market place which seems good a placing orders but I think could be improved with judicious use of a trailing stop.

I know I can only add one EA per chart - so is it possible to:

* Add EA1 to one chart - this paces the orders along with a fixed Stop Loss.

* Add EA 2 to another chart on the same account to set the Trailing Stop.

My challenging is linking them so EA2 can see and modify the Stop set by EA 1. Would it work if I set them to the same Magic Number or is there another way?

Thanks

N

Nigel Kelly:

Hi all,

I grabbed an EA off market place which seems good a placing orders but I think could be improved with judicious use of a trailing stop.

My challenging is linking them so EA2 can see and modify the Stop set by EA 1. Would it work if I set them to the same Magic Number or is there another way?

Thanks

N

Yes, using the same magic number will work.

Nigel Kelly:

Hi all,

Thanks

N

if EA2 closes the trade, OR the trade closes by hitting your new stop when the signal service has that trade still open, i think that the signal service will open a new trade.

Nigel Kelly:

Hi all,

Thanks

N

you need a EA to manage your order.

codebase has a EA, you can try

https://www.mql5.com/en/code/25543

VirtualProfitLossTrailEA
VirtualProfitLossTrailEA
  • www.mql5.com
This expert is a tool to manage the level of profits or losses for each order without using stop loss or take profit. The expert applies virtual levels to close orders in profit or loss. You can use the expert to manage manually opened orders or manage orders opened by another EA. For more information about the expert, you can visit the product's page: https://www.mql5.com/en/market/product/27228

Revo Trades #:

if EA2 closes the trade, OR the trade closes by hitting your new stop when the signal service has that trade still open, i think that the signal service will open a new trade.

Thank you, but the Object initiating the trade is not a signal service - it's an EA on another chart... unless that's the very definition of a signal and I can see how it could be.

I think that if your EA is well done then you can interact with another EA for stop followers, if it's badly done there will be confusion and you'll normally get an error message or something,

You can run a few demo tests first to make sure you don't get any surprises in real life. 
Reason: