Why is $1000 "Not enough money" to open a trade?

New at this and I don't understand why I can't trade. My broker is Eightcap. I'm using a demo account on WebTrader which is similar to the MT4 app except some things are missing. I put $1000 into the account. I set volume to 0.01 and leverage to 1. That should make the size of the trade as small as possible, right? I try to open a trade and get "Not enough money". I tried several currency pairs and it's always the same. I tried again with $10,000 in the account and then it works. Why is $1000 not enough to open a trade when volume is 0.01 and leverage is 1? Thanks

Bcs you cant use 100% of your Account value to Open a trade

locutus85:
New at this and I don't understand why I can't trade. My broker is Eightcap. I'm using a demo account on WebTrader which is similar to the MT4 app except some things are missing. I put $1000 into the account. I set volume to 0.01 and leverage to 1. That should make the size of the trade as small as possible, right? I try to open a trade and get "Not enough money". I tried several currency pairs and it's always the same. I tried again with $10,000 in the account and then it works. Why is $1000 not enough to open a trade when volume is 0.01 and leverage is 1? Thanks

Because leverage 1 means that you have no leverage at all and 1 lot/contract is $100,000 so your 0.01 lot size trade is $1000 and you can't open that trade with a $1000 account, you need more balance in order to have room for losses.

You either have to increase your balance or your leverage.

Eleni Anna Branou #:

Because leverage 1 means that you have no leverage at all and 1 lot/contract is $100,000 so your 0.01 lot size trade is $1000 and you can't open that trade with a $1000 account, you need more balance in order to have room for losses.

You either have to increase your balance or your leverage.

Well, raising the balance isn't an option because I want to be able to do this on a live account. So, what should I set leverage to? 100? Would that mean that the initial value of a trade would be worth $10? That would mean I could open a trade with only $20 in the account. Since the market is closed I can't test this.

locutus85 #:
Well, raising the balance isn't an option because I want to be able to do this on a live account. So, what should I set leverage to? 100? Would that mean that the initial value of a trade would be worth $10? That would mean I could open a trade with only $20 in the account. Since the market is closed I can't test this.

Yes, now you've got it, that's what leverage does.

Reason: