EA executes a trade according to the spreadsheet

So according to my 5 cents of knowledge, you can use the File function to connect an EA to an Excel (changed from .exe to .csv) and trade with it. 

My question is if I can update (or involve) the number directly in the Excel file while it already linked to or written (updated) by the EA

For example:

An EA that records the p/l of each pair. Like, Pair A profits is 10$ in this month but I want to change manually the number from 10$ to 9$ instead. My strategy according to these profit to decided which pair to trade with.

Is it possible?? I heard someone say that I need to use DDE to manually update the spreadsheet, is that true??

Using spreadsheets to build trading strategies
Using spreadsheets to build trading strategies
  • www.mql5.com
The article describes the basic principles and methods that allow you to analyze any strategy using spreadsheets (Excel, Calc, Google). The obtained results are compared with MetaTrader 5 tester.

La Toi:
So according to my 5 cents of knowledge, you can use the File function to connect an EA to an Excel (changed from .exe to .csv) and trade with it. 

My question is if I can update (or involve) the number directly in the Excel file while it already linked to or written (updated) by the EA

For example:

An EA that records the p/l of each pair. Like, Pair A profits is 10$ in this month but I want to change manually the number from 10$ to 9$ instead. My strategy according to these profit to decided which pair to trade with.

Is it possible?? I heard someone say that I need to use DDE to manually update the spreadsheet, is that true??

If your spreadsheet is just a .csv then it's just a txt file so no problem?.

Suggest you disable the EA while you manually edit the file.

andrew4789 #:
If your spreadsheet is just a .csv then it's just a txt file so no problem?.

Suggest you disable the EA while you manually edit the file.

Yes, my spreadsheet is just a record of profit numbers of different pairs, so I changed it from exe to csv. It's basically just a txt. If I remember correctly, the File function can determine the position of rows/cells in csv to trigger the trading condition according to the number contained in those rows/cells??

Definitely take note of your advice, so theoretically, I can directly involve in the spreadsheet contents without needing to use any kind of different solutions?

La Toi #:

Yes, my spreadsheet is just a record of profit numbers of different pairs, so I changed it from exe to csv. It's basically just a txt. If I remember correctly, the File function can determine the position of rows/cells in csv to trigger the trading condition according to the number contained in those rows/cells??

Definitely take note of your advice, so theoretically, I can directly involve in the spreadsheet contents without needing to use any kind of different solutions?

You can involve text file contents in your EA calculations, yes.

[sorry, saved without completing my comment]

But, you probably need to read the entire file line by line and then get the item from a string array of the line.

andrew4789 #:

You can involve text file contents in your EA calculations, yes.

[sorry, saved without completing my comment]

But, you probably need to read the entire file line by line and then get the item from a string array of the line.

Got it. Really appreciate your answer Andrew, it helps me a lot

Reason: