Symbols vs Broker

Hello,

My broker changed the name of all the symbols in the list of available instruments. I am on MT4.

Since that change, I cannot download any data from Metaquote simply using the botton "Download".

This is really inconvenient for backtesting since I need to use an external software to get data and this also creates other bugs on top of the extra time needed.

Obviously, I understant that Metaquote does not recognise anymore my symbols. I always get the message there are no new data.

Is there a way to add in the history standard Metaquotes symbols independant of the Broker symbols??

Alternatively, is there a way to tell the platform the correspondance between each name?

I also tried to install a non broker version of MT4, but it does not work.

I get MT5 installed instead each time!! This is ridiculous. The exe file is named MT4 but installs MT5.

Is it possible to get somewhere a plain original version of MT4 that could be used only for backtesting/optimisation?

Thanks. 

serge103:

Hello,

My broker changed the name of all the symbols in the list of available instruments. I am on MT4.

Since that change, I cannot download any data from Metaquote simply using the botton "Download".

This is really inconvenient for backtesting since I need to use an external software to get data and this also creates other bugs on top of the extra time needed.

Obviously, I understant that Metaquote does not recognise anymore my symbols. I always get the message there are no new data.

Is there a way to add in the history standard Metaquotes symbols independant of the Broker symbols??

Alternatively, is there a way to tell the platform the correspondance between each name?

I also tried to install a non broker version of MT4, but it does not work.

I get MT5 installed instead each time!! This is ridiculous. The exe file is named MT4 but installs MT5.

Is it possible to get somewhere a plain original version of MT4 that could be used only for backtesting/optimisation?

Thanks. 

Yes, you can find a vanilla version of MT4 on the forum.

When reinstalling your current MT4, you might need to change the name of the data folder beforehand, so that you get a clean and new data folder.

Then you can connect your brokers account and everything should work normally again.

Hi,

I have never been able to find that "vanilla" version you are talking about.

Only endless discussions around this problem with no solution.

Can you point me where this version can be found?

Thanks.

serge103 #: I have never been able to find that "vanilla" version you are talking about. Only endless discussions around this problem with no solution. Can you point me where this version can be found?

There is no longer any "plain vanilla" version available any more, because only brokers provide MT4 installations.

MT4 is no longer being actively developed for many years now (read the following thread ... MT4 End Of Life).

Reason: